Garlic Soup

Chris Allingham

Administrator
Staff member
Originally posted by Kevin Kruger 10/14/2006.

GARLIC SOUP
Can be doubled, tripled, quadrupled

12 cloves garlic, peeled and minced or pressed through a press
1/4-1/3 large bunch parsley, leaves only, minced
1 Tbl minced fresh rosemary, do not use dried
2 tsp minced fresh thyme, or 1 tsp dried
1/2 stick unsalted butter
6 cups homemade chicken stock, or low-sodium store-bought stock
1 large russet potato, peeled and diced
3/4 cup heavy cream
salt and freshly ground pepper

freshly grated parmesan or asiago cheese

Melt butter over low heat in a heavy pot. Add garlic and reduce heat to very low. Cook, stirring frequently, at no more than a faint sizzle, 10 min. Add parsley and continue cooking until the garlic is soft and sweet, about 10 min or more. Do not let the garlic brown. Move the pot off the flame a bit if your stove's low flame runs on the hot side and stir frequently. Take your time. Garlic, cooked slowly and not allowed to brown, will sweeten nicely.

Add the stock, thyme, and rosemary and bring to a boil. Add the potato; return to a boil then reduce heat, cover, and simmer until the potato is very tender, about 15-20 minutes. Remove from heat and purée in a blender or with immersion stick till smooth. (At this point, can cool, cover, and refrigerate. Continue with recipe just before serving.)

Return soup to medium heat; stir in cream and bring to barely a simmer—do not boil. Adjust salt and add freshly ground pepper to taste. Serve with a dusting of grated cheese.

I just did, it was very good.

Just remember when blending do not fill to high (1/2 full) and hold the top on TIGHT !

i made this recipe too, it was enjoyable, however i was transporting some leftover and about a cup worth spilled in my truck....i scraped up what i could with a saw-zaw blade but the stink lasted for weeks :p

Kevin,

I just finished making my first batch of your soup and am typing this while I eat it. Wow! My wife asked me, "Where did you find THIS recipe?" She doesn't do that often. She is really impressed.

I was out of Parmesan, so I made some fresh garlic croutons to top the soup. Double Wow!! You can never have too much garlic.

Fantastic. Thanks for sharing.

Jim

I made Kevin Kruger's garlic soup tonight as it's been one that I've been meaning to try and finally our weather has cooled off. A very easy recipe and the soup is great. The initial process chased my wife away from the kitchen while I was sweating the garlic, but she conceded the soup is a keeper after tasting it. I plan to serve it on Thanksgiving when family comes over. With some rustic bread lightly toasted I could make a meal of this.

Paul

I made this soup this week for the first time. Absolutely wonderful and flavorful dish! It will be a definite repeat! Thanks Kevin,

Ray

Back