What have you learned? The TVWBB Knowledge Archive *****

Jarrod S.

TVWBB Member
Assuming everyone that posts on this website has been grilling for 1/3 of their natural lives, from those who are 16 to those who are 76 and up, we have 5104 years of combined experience, and thats only considering those who actually responded to Chris's "how old are you" poll.

Imagine the knowledge!

What invaluable tidbit have you learned that has improved your ability to bbq/grill?

No repeats (sorry larry, i meant copying others tips, add as much as you want!), Also, post your tip in laymans terms, assume the object of your post is as ignorant as a propane griller (no offense intended
icon_smile.gif
) Add links, deffinitions, or explanations if you have to, This is a random archive, help the newbs out!

ill kick off,

In general, large cuts of meat (or those with tough proteins, aka ribs) are cooked with indirect heat, and small cuts with direct heat.

(direct heat As it sounds, the heat that is instantly produced by its source, think of putting your finger at the tip of a candles flame.)

( indirect heat Radiant heat, or the heat that is produced when your finger is held an inch away from the candles flame, relatively speaking)

This all has to do with how much heat it takes to optimally break down or "denature" the proteins in the specific cut for maximum tenderness.

(when heat (or acids, such as in a marinade) is applied to proteins they break apart and form new proteins, likened to a piece of dna if you unwound it and loosely bound it back together [in shape only], if you squeeze it too tightly [apply too much heat] it will squeeze all of the juice out and make one tough mutant)

A large cut of meat, exposed to direct temperatures, will overcook the outside, while leaving the inside too rare for health or taste. Conversely, cooking a kabob over indirect heat would just simply be a waste of time, as the inside would cook nicely over direct heat, and the outside would remain nicely caramelized, but not burnt.

Understanding and manipulating this balance is key to pairing each cut with its particular cooking method.

Also, use a spoon to dimple hamburgers in the middle, this will keep them flat instead of being "roundshaped"
icon_biggrin.gif

Just one huh . . . I guess it would have to be reverse sear on a tri-tip. I've done hundreds of tris and thought I couldn't improve on what I was doing, then the reverse sear came around and they got even better. Never would have tried it in a million years if it wasn't for this site.

A very simple one, but it took me a couple cooks to really believe it: Don't peek. Keep the lid on, calibrate/trust your thermometer(s) and let your cooker do it's thing.

"It's done when it's done."

This can be a tough one to learn, especially if you are scientifically minded. In other words, every piece of meat, slab of ribs, etc., is different, and time/temp is only a guide.

Q on!

Rich

i'de like to say that all 5 post above mine esp. Larry's are really great and definatly apply to me.
Secondly I'll never forget the first time I actually allowed my pork butt to cook past the plateau and FULLY ......i have to repeat this (since you suggested "This is a random archive, help the newbs out!"
icon_wink.gif
) F...U...L....L...Y FULLY TENDER. As in if you push to hard the thermometer end will shoot out the other side of the butt, lol. I'll never forget how amazed I was that they are that great when your patient.
Oh and ...its ok to laugh at me, those days are over. Pork takes an ungodly amount of time to cook, esp. since I like beef better.
icon_biggrin.gif

I still am not a skilled "rub inventor" or "rub maker" or whatever you want to call it, we all have achilles heels I suppose and im not scared to admit it
icon_smile.gif
. thanks

The whole low and slow thing. I used to do my ribs indirect on my gasser,for about 3 hours or so. And I never would have NEVER tried brisket or butts. Now,my bullet is even more used than the gasser! Slowed down just a tad for the winter,but still used.
wsmsmile8gm.gif

However much time you think you need, add at least another hour. It is much better for it to be done early rather than late if everyone is hungry. You can always keep it warm in a cooler for a long time.

Bob

Everything I know about grillin and q.

Dont drink and post
icon_wink.gif

Careful when checking your high heat briskets with a probe, if it slides through and you poke a hole in your foil you wont be happy.

Minion Method

If I hadn't read about that I would never have low heat without having to refuel every hour.

What I know & thought I knew about 'Que was "just the tip of the iceburg".

There's lots to learn and try - more than a mere mortal can probably accomplish in a lifetime. (But it sure is DEE-LISH-US trying!)

I've learned that a butt that was done WAY too soon because the temp. spiked in the middle of the night will hold very nicely in a pre-heated cooler (in my case almost 7 hours
icon_eek.gif
) if you wrap the meat in foil and surround it with crumpled up newspaper. Thank you Mr. Perry

stop sweating the details, drop the meat in, shut the vents when you're at temp, and let the wsm do its thing.

I have learned, that on this site, there are no stupid questions, (thank God!) and because of that, I have continued to learn, and might I add turn out some incredible food!
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Back