Weber's Gourmet System out of the box

Bob Correll

R.I.P. 3/31/2022
Sorry Chris A, I know this is not the right place for this, but I feel many members never go to the 'Weber Accessories' forum.
Please move if if you wish.

Currently on sale at Amazon for $10 less for each item, and I couldn't resist!

It came today, and the first thing I noticed was the heft of the plated cook grate compared to the standard plated hinged grate.
IMG_0003.JPG

The standard grate weighs almost 5 lbs, and the Gourmet is a hair over 8 lbs.
IMG_0004.JPG

IMG_0008.JPG

The cast iron insert is nice and heavy duty too.
I bought the griddle also, but it's on pre-order.

My opinion before using:
I think the grate is worth the 'on sale' price of $29.99, about 10 bucks more than the standard.
The larger diameter of the rods should give great sear marks alone.
The down side is that it's made in Taiwan, not the USA.
icon_frown.gif

Cooks on it to follow, soon.
If ordering, please link through TVWBB.

Thanks for correcting the link Chris!
I sometimes forget to log off my personal account at Amazon first, then link through TVWBB.

is the cast iron pre-seasoned? i think santa will be bringing me this set.

edit...

never mind i see now that it is PCI

Bob - What is the diameter of the cast iron grid? Will it fit a Smokey Joe?

I'd love to get this in an 18 inch diameter and use it on my BGE.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JRPfeff:
Bob - What is the diameter of the cast iron grid? Will it fit a Smokey Joe?

I'd love to get this in an 18 inch diameter and use it on my BGE. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
It measures 11 15/16" dia., not counting the 4 'ears'

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Shaun R:
I don't see anything about ten bucks each
icon_confused.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
They're actually "currently on sale at Amazon for $10 less for each item..." ($10 off each item from their original price)
icon_smile.gif

Barret

Bob,
Thanks for the pics!! I wasn't going to purchase this until I saw your pic of the grates side by side... Had to go see for myself and ended up buying it. Thanks again...

I hope you didn't mind but I used that grate pic on another site to show the difference...

Thanks again for spending my money!
icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bill Johnson:
I hope you didn't mind but I used that grate pic on another site to show the difference...

Thanks again for spending my money!
icon_wink.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No problem Bill!
Just received a message from Amazon that the griddle is in, and being shipped.

I got the griddle combo...Didn't think the CI Grate would give me any bang for the buck..Never had a problem getting "marks" using just the regular grates and since they are noticibly bigger on this one my grill marks will be even better!

Thanks again.
icon_wink.gif

I bought this the first day I saw them on amazon. I've been placing my gasser grates on top of my Performer grate to get grill marks. I also been looking at woks forever so this was a no-brainer for me. I was not really looking for a griddle, but who can't use a griddle, right? (Well, I can't as you'll see in a second.
icon_wink.gif
)

I happened to sell some crap on Craiglist a few days ago for almost exactly what this would cost, so I took it as a sign and bought the entire set.

imagekkm.jpg

By hogsfan at 2010-11-27

I made some bacon and eggs tonight. I let it get WAY to hot for the first batch of bacon so everything after that was a little dark as you can see in the last photo. Rookie mistake. It still turned out tasting pretty good considering I have absolutely no idea how to use this griddle yet.

Anyways, here's some pictures.
imagewe.jpg

By hogsfan at 2010-11-27

imagelul.jpg

By hogsfan at 2010-11-27
imageraf.jpg

By hogsfan at 2010-11-27

imagetv.jpg

By hogsfan at 2010-11-27

My initial impression is that this really solid. The wok is a lot bigger than it looks at amazon (15 inches not including the handles.) I LOVE the heavy duty wire grates and its really cool to be able to mess with the fire from the middle without taking off the entire grate...particularly with the gas assist on the Performer being directly underneath it. I just fired up the assist for 5 minutes, put the griddle down and walked away. Nice. Afterwards, it cleaned up really easy.

If it lasts, I think this will be one of my better bbq related investments.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bill Johnson:
I got the griddle combo...Didn't think the CI Grate would give me any bang for the buck..Never had a problem getting "marks" using just the regular grates and since they are noticibly bigger on this one my grill marks will be even better!

Thanks again.
icon_wink.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Had I known the grate was so heavy duty I would have done the same Bill, and just gotten the griddle/grate set.

Justin,
Thanks for sharing!
I was sure that heat regulation under the griddle would have a learning curve, but I like playing with fire
icon_smile.gif

I got a chance to use the wok today. Considering this was my first time 1) cooking with the wok and 2) cooking shrimp stir-fry I've very pleased with how it turned out. I took pictures in case you guys are interested.

imageor.jpg

By null at 2010-11-29

Shrimp in the wok with a little garlic in coconut oil.

imagezs.jpg

By null at 2010-11-29

Starting to change color.

imageab.jpg

By null at 2010-11-29

Let the shrimp rest a moment while I cooked the veggies. These came from a bag frozen but still turned out pretty good.
imagebkl.jpg

By null at 2010-11-29

Mixed it all together.
imagerd0.jpg

By null at 2010-11-29

Turned out really good for my first try. Enjoyed it with a glass of wine and my wife's company. She's Asian and gave it her stamp of approval so I take that as a good sign.

Clean up was really easy. Took very little scrubbing. I'm a fan!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bob Correll:
Great looking stir-fry Justin!
It looks like the char-baskets are a perfect fit below the opening. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

They are a perfect fit. Almost too perfect. I actually had to take out my 2nd (criss cross) charcoal grate that I use to save charcoal. Otherwise the wok would sit on the charcoal basket and not suspend from the ring in the cooking grate. It's not a big deal either way, though. Just a little wobbly if it's sitting on the charcoal basket.

I think this might have to be my birthday present to myself. I think I will probably go for the wok/griddle, and maybe later add the cast iron insert.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DaleW:
Where's the love for the 26.75 grill!!?? That cut out for the wok or griddle looks cool! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Seeing as they already charge $100+ for the normal grate, I wonder what weber would want for this on a 26er ?

I ordered the sear grate myself and can't believe how heavy this thing is. This is a really nice setup. I had been considering the segmented CI grate for a while, but the maintenance issues kept me away. Being able to wash the sear grate insert made this a no-brainer for me.

Stupid question time,
Which way does the CI sear grate go into the ring? I know the tabs only let it go in one direction, but which side up? When upside down(IMO - the cast iron is wider on this side) the sear grate is flush with the top of the ring. When the sear grate is right side up (narrower cast iron) it protrudes up from the ring. So which way is right? Does it really matter?

I used mine last Wed, installed flush with the ring (upside down), and I got decent results. It will take some more trial and error before posting pics here. I will be trying again tonight - Oh darn!

Back