temp.

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

On monday I fire up the old smoker and was going to smoke a chicken,sirloin pork roast,and some ribs ok. I used the minson slow burn and I had a thermometer in the top and one in the middle of the smoker, and one at the middle grate itself.I had the water pan full of water,and the temp. never got over 300 degree at anytime.what i don't understand is after four hours of B.B.Q. everything was over done.[what happen] i was going for a long slow burn. the roast was in the 4/5 lb.area the chicken was in the 2 lb. area.ribs was country rib.I don't understand why everything got done so fast. I checked my temp every 30 minute and checked the meat at the 4 hour mark which i was going to turn and bast but it was all done.Can someone tell me what is going on i would like to know thank JOE

Joe, you said your temp never got over 300. I assume that it must have stayed in the range of 275 to 300 the entire time, which indicates you may have left the bottom vents wide open.

When I start to cook on my WSM, I use the ?Minion Method? and I leave the bottom and top vents wide open until I get to the temp of 250 on the lid. I then close the vents on the bottom (all three) to a position where they are open about ? inch. The top vent remains wide open all the time. This will give me a very constant temp of 250 for the entire run.

Now, when I do brisket, sometimes during the last hour of cooking, I will open the bottom and top vent all the way open to increase the internal temp of the brisket. When I do that, my lid temp will be right at 300.

We all have different ways of doing things and this works well for me, however, there is always room for improvement.

Take care and happy 4th of July.

Joe, I think 4 hours is within the normal range, especially if your temp was high. You say it never got above 300. When I cook it never gets above 260. I cook chickens for 4-5 hours with the temp at the lid at 240-250. You probably just need to fiddle with the bottom vents to get a lower temp.

Good luck and happy 4th!

Four hours sounds about right for the chicken and ribs, especially given 275-300*F. Bruce has it right in his post about the vents; it may help to go back and read the Firing Up Your Weber Bullet topic on the Web site.

Keep at it, you're getting it!

Regards,
Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back