Knives

Luis L.

Banned
I need a good knife set however something that wont cost a lot. The cheaper the better, but I do know I get what I pay for most of the times. Any suggestions? My current set was only like 20 bucks and you can imagine not very good.

i spent 100 on a set of wusthoff and really like them. thay seem to hold an edge for a fairly long time. good luck

Cheap knives- I'd go for a couple of Victorinox, and a Spyderco Triangle sharpmaker.
The knives will be razor sharp as long as you treat them right, ie knife block and no washing machine, and use the spyderco quite often.

Forschner / Victorinox , I just bought a 12" slicer and have 3 others, very nice, hold and edge, easy to sharpen and relatively inexpensive. I also have a Wustof chefs knife just because and a couple wustof paring knives. In fact I may have too many knives...
icon_eek.gif

I started out with this Forschner/Victorinox set One thing you might want to add is a 12'' slicer or an 8'' chefs if you're not comfortable with the 10'' one.

Mk Evenson,
"I may have too many knives"
You cannot be serious? lol At least there wa an element of uncertainty in your response.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Pat Barnes:
Mk Evenson,
"I may have too many knives"
You cannot be serious? lol At least there wa an element of uncertainty in your response. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have a relatively small kitchen. 2 magnetic knife racks on either side of the sink and no room for more racks. Both racks are full and I just ordered a 12" slicer. I hate it when I have to relegate an old friend to the drawer.
icon_frown.gif

Mark

When I first started out, the boss bought me an 8" Cuisinart chef's knife. I have to admit that it has been a darn good knife. It's not ultra fancy like some that I've seen but it holds an edge quite well.

For slicing duty it's the Horschner without a doubt.

Russ

The miracle blade set is actually a pretty amazing set for the low price of 20 bucks. We get them here at Canadian Tire but I'm sure Walmart also carries them. I got a set as a gift and was happily surprised after seeing the cheesy infomercial for them.Just search for the miracle blade on google

Used my 12" Forschner slicer granton blade this AM to trim an uncooked brisket. OMG, like going thru butter. Can't wait to use it Sat at the comp on the cooked briskey.

Mark

i got excited about this post when i saw the title.

but then i saw the budget.
apparently I'm a knife freak, just dropped 700 on some new knives.

I saw these rated pretty highly on a couple of bbq blogs, bought the chefs and utility knife and have been pretty happy with them. Wouldn't think they were any good by the price.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by TroyRedington:
i got excited about this post when i saw the title.

but then i saw the budget.
apparently I'm a knife freak, just dropped 700 on some new knives. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sorry to disappoint you with my budget.

sorry, didn't mean to sound condescending.

i'm not rich. there were many sacrifices made, and a lot of thinking about the justification before i bought my first $200 knife.

Luis, my knife budget is closer to yours. I bought two of the Update International knives, which are marketed to the food industry.

I just make sure I keep a good edge on them. No issues with them, and they work as well as my Forshners.

Update International

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by TroyRedington:
sorry, didn't mean to sound condescending.

i'm not rich. there were many sacrifices made, and a lot of thinking about the justification before i bought my first $200 knife. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Probably no need to be sorry for your purchase. Nobody here is sorry for spending $$ on a nice smoker or grill and lot's of other toys to go with it. If you want nice things, like quality knives, then you have to pay for them. It all depends on how much you value/use them and how much you're comfortable spending on that luxury. Personally, I started using cheaper knives about 20 years ago and I've gone through a number of sets of them. I'm on the verge of spending money for a set of Japanese kitchen knives but not until I've done more research. My son will be moving to the west coast take his masters this summer, and he'll inherit my old knives to take with him. Spend the money and don't feel guilty about it. Or don't spend the money and don't feel guilty about that either. Either way, just let your flag fly.

Back