My first two attempts on the 22.5 WSM

Hi

Did two beer can chickens on the 24th and a prime rib on the 25th on my new Xmas WSM. I tried to cook the beer can chicken using HH but I think I did not have enough coals. The skin turned out to be too rubbery except for the wings. Smoke flavor was excellent tho. I used 3 pieces of apple wood.

The primerib was done on the 25th and this one turned out very well. I used the low and slow and used a 2 pieces of apple wood for this one. The temps stayed in the 225 - 245 range. For an 8.3lb roast, I ended up cooking it for 3.75 hours and took it out when the Maverick registered 126 degrees. I let it rest for 25 minutes and then put it in a 500 degree oven for 3 minutes (I chickened out and took it out before its time because I was worried it would get too done) and then took it out, carved it and served it. Smoke flavor was subtle which is the way I like it. Everyone was very happy with the results.

Link to Pix

I'd say first two successes!
Nice work Frank!
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Frank,

That looks great!

As for the chicken skin, you might try loosing it from the meat by running your hands as far as you can under it before you cook it. Then put a wet rub (whatever rub you used mixed with equal part cooking oil) above and below the skin. That will help crisp it up. Then cook at 325-350. Cooking that high may require cracking the door open a bit.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Stefan B:
Nice work Frank!
wsmsmile8gm.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

-This!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Wolgast:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Stefan B:
Nice work Frank!
wsmsmile8gm.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

-This! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
That!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">quote:
Originally posted by Wolgast:

quote:
Originally posted by Stefan B:
Nice work Frank!

-This!

That! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Those!

Back