Two butts on a kettle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Erdkamp

TVWBB Member
Do you think I can do two butts on my kettle,about 5 and a half lbs each. How long if I try the higher temps like 275/285 ? Foil or no foil. Thanks Mike

i'm sure you could fit 2 on there. just make sure to flop them around and spin them to get even cooking. foil is a personal preference, but if they look to be drying out i would foil them. time i can't help you with. could be 1-2 hours/lb. go by temp and feel.

I think it is doable. It is hard to say how long, but I would think it would be about 10 hours or so. Give yourself a few extra hours, as it is easier to deal with them getting done early as opposed to not getting done on time.

I would suggest using firebricks with the method in this thread. When you use firebricks, it greatly minimizes hot spots in a kettle. I don't think foiling is necessary at all for butts unless you are in danger of not getting done on time.

You will have a lot of drippings from two butts, and you do not want that getting into the bottom of your kettle. It will be a bit tricky to catch the drippings from two butts. I would go with a double layer of heavy duty foil with the edges crimped up in the corners to make a large drip pan that covers the entire cooking side. It will hold better if it is shaped to go all the way out to the perimeter and about an inch up along the side of the kettle and firebrick. That way the edge will be supported where it is crimped.

Yes I think I will get some of the fire bricks,I did rotate the butts at about 3 and a half hours.Started at about 5am and just pulled one to the cooler at 2pm. Do you use salt in your rubs,I used Pappys with no salt and meat does not have much flavor guess I can add some when I pull them. Thanks Mike

Without salt the meat is going to be quite flat. You can add salt when you pull it.

In the future, a better way is to just salt the meat first, then wait about 15 minutes and apply the no-salt rub over the salt which will pull moisture to the surface and makes the rub adhere better.

I've cooked two butts at once several times on the 22 1\2, always 4.5 to 5 lbs each. I cook them 4 hours indirect then take them off and wrap them in foil and cook another 4 hours with new coals. Can pull the bone out with a shake of the tongs and makes me feel all tingly inside....mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back