Tennessee > Memphis: Germantown Commissary

Matt B.

TVWBB Super Fan
We went to the Commissary today for dinner. If you don't know, it's a little out of town in a suburb of Memphis. My wife had a pulled turkey bbq sandwich and I had a sampler that included pulled pork, a half slab of ribs, a roll, coleslaw, and some beans.

I had never heard of pulled turkey before, but this stuff was great. Moist, flavorful, and just plain delicious. It didn't need sauce. Maybe it had been brined in some concoction? Hard to say, but I'd recommend this to anybody. It even had a little bark that added to it's flavor and texture nicely. I'll be trying to duplicate this at home.

My sampler was an interesting mix. I'll break it down piece by piece.

The ribs were served dry. A mild and spicy sauce were on the table. The silverskin had not been removed from the ribs. The meat was tough. Coloration was great, with a deep smoke ring. The ribs did not pass any kind of tear test. When they did separate, the intercostal meat came off in long, finger-like hunks. I tried to use the sauces, but they simply did not help. It must have been an off day for the ribs, because everybody says their ribs are great.

The pork was good, but not outstanding. Flavor was mild both in the meat and in the thin pieces of bark that I tasted. However, if you took the meat, dressed it with some mild sauce and coleslaw and slapped it in the roll you ended up with a respectable tasting sandwich. The coleslaw was good, but not great and the roll was just a regular yeast roll. The mild sauce was what brought out the magic. It was delicious. The spicy version was just mild sauce cut with a huge dose of Tabasco, or so it seemed. The beans complimented everything well.

It is worth mentioning that the service at the Commissary was outstanding. The owner was present and twice stopped by to ask us if everything was OK. The place was packed to capacity with a line waiting yet he still greeted every customer as they arrived, many by name. Our waitress was prompt and on top of things in her section like white on rice. It was a pleasant experience and I'd go here again in a heartbeat just for that reason.

Been there, done that and actually did buy the tee shirt. The Tshirt was my fav. thing of all...like you said, ribs werent' too tasty. To me..it's like they left them in the oak smoke too long b/c they had that burnt propane flavor. Pork was avg..to below avg in my book. Don't plan on going back, unless I need another nice blue tshirt! NOT! LOL

The Commissary is my favorite BBQ joint in Memphis. The service is fast and friendly, and the Q is the best in town IMHO. I have not had the ribs, because I prefer the pulled pork and bbq sausage. The banana pudding is the best I have ever had. On the weekends around meal time, expect to wait. It is worth the wait.

Back