Feeling uneasy about my new Weber Q200

W_Stewart

TVWBB Fan
I had an old piece of crap gas grill for 10 years - the kind with flames/heat that flowed up through lava rock. I was pretty darn proficient with it and quite satisfied with all my beef, pork and chicken cooks. But it wore out and I replaced with a Weber Q200. After two cooks I can tell it is going to take awhile to get used to it. It seems like the cooking effect comes from contact with the heated grate - true? If so it seems I have to better manage the heat applied to grate and not direct heat applied via the flame.

Also - so far both my burgers and fish stuck to the porcelan coated cast iron grate. I know I need a better porcelan sheet for my next fish cook but it was disappointing to see the burgers stick. Kinda caused on burger to break apart when I flipped it. Is this what I have to look forward to?!?!?

Don't worry help is but a mere email away.
First of all what does the W stand for in W_Stewart - it seems pretty impersonal to address you as W or as Stewart. (sorry thats my "Old School" manners kicking in)

I have had a Q200 for nearly 4 years - just about worn it out. Without a doubt one of the best BBQs on the market.

You did not say if you were cooking with the lid up or down. The only way to cook on the Q is with the lid down.

Burgers
Pre heat the Q on high with the lid dow for 10 minutes before cooking. Wipe the grill with a bit of vegetable oil. The burgers should be at room temperature or at least not cold before cooking. I spray the burgers with a bit of cooking oil before placing on the grill. Place burgurs on the grill and close the lid cook for about 3 - 3 1/2 minutes and turn they should not stick to the grill at this point. If your recipe has a lot of sauce as a binder they may stick to the grill - This is because of the sugar content of the sauce. if this is the case you may want to try cooking indirect first and then finishing off direct. - Works real well.

Fish
I do fish a lot and never have had success in placing fish directly on the grill on any BBQ. I tend to do mine in foil, on a cedar plank or on a griddle with a piece of baking paper on it, or sometimes for cajun fish just on the griddle with some oil.

Send me your email address and I will sernd you a copy of the recipes that I have perfected for the Q. this is a work in progress as I am continually updating it. My email address is in my profile.

Once you get the basics of cooking on the Q sorted out - you will never look back. The Q is to Grilling as the WSM is to BBQ'ing.

Regards

Preheat and lube....

The grates are not non-stick or porcelin coated. They have some coating on so they don't need to be "cured" per se, but they do need a good wipe with oil each time.

With fish, put a tablespoon or so of oil on each side, then use two spatulas to flip (assuming a whole fish) after 4 minutes of covered cooking. I've never had any problems doing it this way. If you're cooking a tuna/swordfish/salmon steak, try using tongs to "wiggle" it before turing. That will help it come cleanly off the grate.

Thanks, guys! I'm feeling better now. Can you clarify a few things for me?

First, I do lid down and preheat. I appreciate the offer of recipes and sent you an email. 95% of my grilling is just for 2 people - that's why I went with the 200. But Wednesday I have 25 coming over and wish I had the 300! I'll probably use my WSM for some direct charcoal grilling to augment.

Cooking oil on grates...I thought I saw something in the WeberQ documentation that advised against this. If I do it, should oil be wiped on before or after starting the burners? Will it gum up?

Oil on burgers - use spray cooking oil like PAM? It won't impart a taste will it? I have never oiled burgers but will try.

Jay, the grate - definately porcelain-enameled cast-iron as per Weber website.

I have both the WSM and now the Q200 - looks like I have both classics now! Any other tips!?!?!?

One observation - I was watching flame height and behavior as I first thougth I was getting weak gas flow. I think it is actually OK but I noticed my nice, even blue flames with occaisional orange flickers all turned to 80% orange when I started putting meat onto the grill. Is this a sign of something wrong? I'm guessing all the spattering grease is causing this?

I wipe the grill with some oil on a piece of paper towel after it is preheated.

I am sorry I do not know what PAM is. We have both Canola and Olive oil in spray cans here in Australia. It depends on what I am cooking as to which one I use. It is the same as brushing oil on the food.

For 25 you should do both WSM and Q. Use the Q for the quick grill type starters. Do joints in the WSM.

Flame - no problems this is normal.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by W_Stewart:

Cooking oil on grates...I thought I saw something in the WeberQ documentation that advised against this. If I do it, should oil be wiped on before or after starting the burners? Will it gum up?
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Preheat the grill, then wipe on some oil. Shut the lid and let it "bake" on for a few minues.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Oil on burgers - use spray cooking oil like PAM? It won't impart a taste will it? I have never oiled burgers but will try. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If you oil the grates well, there's no real need to do this. Generally a burger will release itself after 3-4 minutes.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Jay, the grate - definately porcelain-enameled cast-iron as per Weber website. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You're right, of course. I was trying to say it's not the PCI grate like Home Depot carries on it's Weber gassers. The Q grates have a "rough" texture while the PCI grates are very shiny.

I'm feeling better about my Q200. Yesterday I knocked out 20 burgers and 30 hotdogs with great success. Oiling helped, as did all the grease from 20 burgers.

Oil on burgers - use spray cooking oil like PAM? It won't impart a taste will it? I have never oiled burgers but will try.

[/QUOTE]

There are some canned cooking sprays with oils and such that would work, but you can also buy a spray bottle and fill it with veggie or olive oil and use it to spray your product. You can also use it to spray your grates.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by W_Stewart:

Also - so far both my burgers and fish stuck to the porcelan coated cast iron grate. I know I need a better porcelan sheet for my next fish cook but it was disappointing to see the burgers stick. Kinda caused on burger to break apart when I flipped it. Is this what I have to look forward to?!?!? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
If you have true PCI grates then you are not getting them hot enough before you are putting on the meat. If you put cold meat on anything less than a hot grate it will stick, Period. It took me a few cooks to get them PCI grates figured out, as I was used to thin steel grates which heated up in no time. It takes a good while for that cast iron to heat up but when they do they really hold their heat. Do a 20 min preheat all burners on high before putting the meat on. As said the meat will release from the PCI grates after a few min. If you try to push your spatulla under the meat and feel the meat sticking stop, your trying to turn or flip too early. Wait onother min or 2 and try again.
icon_wink.gif

Back