Thoughts/ opinions on using falx seed oil?

Linda

TVWBB Fan
At work, our chef has three really crusty CI skillets that I would like to rehab for him. After eading various posts on this site I'm pretty sure how to get the gunk off of them.

But after reading this blog,
here

I'd like to know what others think about using flax seed oil to reseason CI.

I used it to reseason a CI skillet, and it worked well. I used the method in a "Cook's Illustrated" issue from earlier this year. It does smell pretty bad while you're doing it.

i like to use lard for seasoning. but everyones got their own way of doing things and if it works... why not

Thanks for posting this and the link Linda.

I have some flax seed oil in my refrigerator I needed for a recipe and have no other use for.... now I am sure everyone on here can give me other uses
icon_smile.gif

<span class="ev_code_BLUE">Hands down flax seed oil the best for seasoning a pan.</span>
Well, knock me over with a feather. I wouldn't have thought the type of oil would make much of a difference, as long as it was a high-heat oil (not pam, not olive oil). Up until now I've been very happy with peanut oil, but I'll have to try the flax the next time I need to season an iron pan/skillet. Thanks.

Linda,

I'm ready to move to flax seed oil after years of Crisco & canola oil. Ms. Canter's blog and logic make sense. I've got a bunch of CI that needs re-conditioning so I'll report back later. I've got the materials to try both electrolysis & lye methods. I'll go flax seed oil either way.
Ken
ps: Gary H. - It's nice to se someone who values Pogo!

I am four coats into this and its looking great. Hard to fire up the oven to 500 for an hour though. That's why I cook outside in the summer!

I saw that same blog earlier this year and was excited to try it out.

After extensive searching, I found the flax oil in the refrigerated section of a specialty store...at over $10 for an 8 oz. bottle.

I found the seasoning/coating to be very brittle, and it just doesn't hold up on the bottom of my griddle when cooking bacon on the gas grill. For my other cast iron, it's held up very well on the stovetop. It's fun to play with, but based on $$$ vs. overall satisfaction, I'm still happy with the solid Crisco seasoning method.

Back