Cedar Planked Salmon (grilled)

Shawn W

TVWBB Emerald Member
Cedar Planked Salmon
Soak plank(s) over night. (My planks come from the grocery store, they are about 3/4" thick by 6" X 12". I have done the cook after only 3 hours of soaking and couldn't tell any difference than with overnight soaked planks.)

Prepare (to taste):
1/4 cup finely diced white onion
Fresh dill sprigs
Very thinly sliced lemon, seeds removed

If desired, before cooking remove the fillet from the fridge to take the chill off, pat dry.

Allow it to get to room temp if you are comfortable with that. I take mine out for about an hour.

Just prior to cooking, lightly rub a small amount of oil into both sides of the fillet, just barely enough to coat. I use virgin olive oil.

Remove plank from water, place on hot grill. I use High, both burners on a typical 50k BTU 700 square cm gas grill and place the plank in the middle so it is not directly over that grill's hotspots.

Allow the plank to get quite hot. Wait at least until the top is completely dry then place the salmon fillet on the plank.

Immediately distribute diced onion, dill sprigs, then lemon slices evenly over the top of the fillet.

Close lid, cook for 10 - 30 minutes depending on thickness of fillet and desired firmness, checked at thickest part. No flipping required.

After a couple of minutes I turn my grill down a bit and try to maintain an internal temperature of 500 F. I like the fish firm so I grill it until it flakes with a fork.

Considerations:
I have only used this with boneless fillets (no skin). If the salmon still had the skin I would put it skin side down on the cedar plank.

Your salmon fillet may be several times thicker at one end. If there is a drastic difference, you may wish to try cooking like size pieces together so the thin end is not over cooked. Just allow the plank to regain it's heat before starting subsequent batches.

The meat gets a mild smoke flavour from the cedar, adding smoking wood is not necessary.

*July 5/2004 - took out some of the goofy stuff. Also want to make a note this isn't my recipe per se, but basically the recipe that comes with the planks I buy.

I have done several whole salmons (With head and all fins) on my beech plank. Rub some good olive oil into the the inner parts of the fish, then rub the inside of the fish with Maldon salt and peber.

Give it 45 - 50 minuttes, no need for turning the fish, serve it on he plank directly on the table. I use a slight soaked old towel underneath to avoid any black marks from the burned wood.

After having taken one side of the fish, it is easy to remove the skeleton, and prepare the last side for serving.

Serve it together with fresh salat with feta cheese, and hot breads (Bagettes ot Flûtes)

Here's another very simple plank recipe for salmon.
Soak the planks for at least an hour.
Place salmon on plank skinn down, or skinless.
Spread with a good whole grain mustard, dijon or something high quality. No yellow stuff!
Top that with brown sugar.
Grill for 30 min at 350.

Sweet, tangy, smokey and it comes out perfectly cooked every time!

Back