Pork riblets, best way to cook?

dean

TVWBB Pro
How about some tips and recipes? I saw these at the market and they came cryovaced like ribs or brisket.

Riblets are cut from the shoulder or butt. When I think of riblets, I think of pairing them with a fruit marinade or finishing glaze. Fruits such as pineapple and peach work really well with pork. I'd definately grill them; maybe in kabob style. They cook quickly and are pretty tender as is. If you want, you can also brine them ahead of time for added moisture.

Paul

We get ours at a store near Silverdale. They come in a 10 lb box from Wilson Foods, owned by Tyson. A few weeks ago, we took a mess of riblets to a church function in Poulsbo, and they were the first item to disappear. First, I defrosted them overnight. Then, I seared them and grilled them on the Q320 to a point where they were medium rare. That got them some crispiness and reduced the fat a bit. Finally, we put them into two crock pots with my wife's Georgia mustard BBQ sauce on "low and long". They were "falling off the bone" tender and very tasty. We will do it again for company soon. They are a very good value, with lots of lean and little bone or gristle. I am new here and am enjoying all the forums. Ciao!

Later: Here is the recipe from my wife, Theresa Tilton:

Georgia Yellow Barbecue Sauce

Mustard-based barbecue sauce is popular in Northern Georgia and the Western Counties of the Carolinas. It is tangy and sweet, with just a bit of a warm spicy flavor that is a fine complementary flavor for slow-cooked pork of any kind and for chicken. We keep some in the refrigerator to spread on cold meat sandwiches.

Time needed to prepare: 20 minutes

Yield: About 2 cups, enough for up to three pounds of meat

Ingredients:

1 cup prepared yellow mustard (French's is the favorite brand)
1/2 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar (white wine vinegar is a not-traditional, but good substitute)
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon seasoning salt (Johnny's brand from Tacoma, Washington is best)
1 teaspoon celery seed
1 teaspoon Tabasco (or more to your own taste)
pinch ground allspice

Preparation:

Combine all ingredients in a saucepan over a low heat. Whisk to blend the ingredients. Simmer for at least 15 minutes, or until sauce is smooth. If you prefer a thicker sauce, reduce it on low heat while stirring well to avoid scorching.

If you are using this sauce in the slow cooker, you may skip the simmering stage. Have your meat seared to remove extra fat. Whisk the sauce ingredients together, pour over the meat, and let the sauce cook with the meat. If the sauce appears to separate, a quick stir just before serving will restore its smooth texture.

Are you planning a special meal, and you want to minimize last-minute preparation? Our guests love a Georgia- style pork roast. Up to two days before your party, rub lemon-pepper seasoning over a good-quality pork roast. Roast in the oven at 325ºF (slow) or on a covered grill using indirect method, until meat thermometer reaches 160ºF. Remove the pork roast from the heat and allow it to rest for 15 minutes. Chill the cooked meat in the refrigerator overnight, then slice into thin slices. In a slow-cooker, assemble the slices into the original shape of the roast. Cover the roast with Georgia yellow barbecue sauce and just a half-cup of defatted pan juices or water. Put the lid on and heat for at least an hour on the low setting of the slow cooker. The meat will be perfectly warm and tender for your party.

Last edited:

Back