New Weber Book: Way To Grill

John Gleeson

Jamie Purviance and Weber have hit one out of the park with this new book. Yes, there are the usual excellent recipies, but what I think rocks with this book are the illustrated techniques. Under the heading of "way to..." (way to butterfly a flank steak; way to butcher a whole strip steak roast, etc)there are over 300 examples of grilling techniques with detailed photos. It's a winner, kids!

John,
I agree. great book. Love the pictures. If you are signed up at Weber Nation(free) there are some videos that show Jamie cooking a few things from the cookbook.

Gary
I just clicked on the link, thank you.
Who is this guy ?
Listen to what he says, and you can scarcely believe your ears.
His 4th way to check a steak for doneness is to "slit and peek". (Turn it over so your guests don`t see wher you slashed it, and look inside to see how rare it is).
His next statement is "when you take it off the grill, rest it for 5 minutes because all the juices have been pushed towards the middle, and if you cut it, the juices will just gush out all over the plate".

What on earth happens when you slash and peek then???

Not for me !

Pete.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Pete Hannan:
Gary
Who is this guy ?
His 4th way to check a steak for doneness is to "slit and peek". (Turn it over so your guests don`t see wher you slashed it, and look inside to see how rare it is).
His next statement is "when you take it off the grill, rest it for 5 minutes because all the juices have been pushed towards the middle, and if you cut it, the juices will just gush out all over the plate".

Not for me !

Pete. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If you're not sure of the temp, slash in the middle (or probe for temp) and check the juices. Clear and it's done, red juice and wait longer. I have no problem using a temp guide though I personaly like my meat on the med. rare/rare side.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Brad W:
[it over so your guests don`t see wher you slashed it, and look inside to see how rare iQUOTE]Originally posted by Pete Hannan:
Gary
Who is this guy ?
His 4th way to check a steak for doneness is to "slit and peek". (Turn t is).

Not for me !

Pete. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If you're not sure of the temp, slash in the middle (or probe for temp) and check the juices. Clear and it's done, red juice and wait longer. I have no problem using a temp guide though I personaly like my meat on the med. rare/rare side.[/QUOTE]

Hi Brad !

I`m sorry, I was being sarcastic !
I couldn`t believe what he was advocating here.
Cutting a steak to check it`s doneness as he suggests is lunacy !
All the juices just pack up and leaves.

Pete.

Pete

He offers the slit and peak technique to those that are less experienced or do not have a IR Therm. Not everyone that fires up the grill is a Foodie and has all the gadgets or skill required. But it is Webers job via Jamie to make grilling easy and excessable for all. You ask who he is. He has 4 acclaimed grilling books is nationally acclaimed and has traveled the world to learn his craft. That is who he is and should not be judged from one video.

Bobby Flay is acclaimed and we know how he uses a WSM...

i would think instead of cutting up a steak, using a proper technique to check for various stages of of steak cooking would be a better method. than telling new folks to do something wrong. whether it is time at temp or using the hand method or using a therm just about anything is better than cutting into a steak and ruining it and telling people that dont know any better thats the way.

thats the problem with people nowadays always the shortcut never take the time to teach the right ways or teach valid ways when there are multiple ways to do it.

the food network is becoming more of do it now and fast than do it right and good.

Many of you are missing the point of Purviance's new book. He (and Weber!) published a book to encourage and educate new grillers (and to sell more Weber grills) by showing them how to cook on Weber products in a step-by-step fashion.

Regarding the cut & peek method for checking doneness, it does have its place. People new to grilling do not have the confidence to trust time, temperature or feel when checking meat. This method gives them feedback to develop the experience and the confidence to trust the other methods.

Frankly, I should have used this method a couple weeks ago for a filet I served my wife. It was shaped differently than the other steaks and was not done when I served her. "Cut & peek" would have saved a trip back to the grill.

I just received the book as a birthday present and was expecting a basic grilling book that would not be much use to me. I was wrong. Jamie Purviance created a load of new recipes that I will be trying this summer. Weber's Way to Grill is a great addition to my collection of outdoor cookbooks. I also know several people who will be receiving this book as a gift from me.

Last year I purchased Jamie's book titled "Weber Charcoal Grilling-The Art of Cooking with Live Fire" and it is the first book I turn to when I have a grilling problem or trying out a new recipie, i.e., excellent grilling pictures, straight-forward recipies and Grill Set-up in a BBQ Language that I can understand, etc., etc. My only complaint is that I have used it so much that the pages are falling out! Oh, I have 15 BBQ/Grilling Books in my Arsenal and a close 2nd is a book titled "Whatcha Need to Know to BBQ Like a Pro" by Ron Lutz. I even have one book I picked-up in a Arizona Used Book Store last year by the Baseball Great John "Boog" Powell titled "Mesquite Cookery" which I like a whole lot.

Richard

WSM Classic, OTG 22 1/2" with Smokenator

I just bought the book and am quite pleased with it. It has good recipes and the photo's are informing. Jamie was just trying to to show the different ways to check for doneness.

Back