Stainless Steel Performer "Refreshed"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pat Smith

TVWBB Wizard
I bought a used Stainless Steel table Performer off of Craigslist last October. The grill was in OK shape. The kettle bottom had a couple of quarter sized rust spots and there was a ding on the lid about the same size. The one touch system was rusted and there was about four inches of ask accumulated in the bottom of the bowl. The lid had a pretty impressive collection of creosote and the ash catcher and ash catcher ring was missing.

Still, for $50, I figured the grill had possibilities.

I cleaned it out, then up, sanded the rusted spots and covered them with high temperature grill paint, and ordered my missing parts from Weber. Weber was typically helpful but had one bit of bad news - the ash catcher ring design had changed since 1992 (the date code is "O") and they no longer stocked the original ash catcher ring (it attached to the bottom of the kettle using a steel bar).

I knew that the newer version of the ash catcher ring had metal tabs that click into slots between the kettle body and the leg sockets. I figured I could recreate the slot somehow, so I ordered the new model and said "we'll see."

All the other parts - one-touch system, new grill grate and charcoal grate, ash catcher ring and handle - came quickly. The ash catcher ring, on the other hand, was on back order for three months. It finally came on Friday.

I spent some time today putting things together and here are the results:
]"Red"[/URL]

]

I used a Dremmel tool and cutting wheel to cut the "slots" into the leg sockets so the tabs on the ash catcher ring would snap in. I was worried that the slots would be hard to cut, but it took only a few minutes per slot. The width of the cutting wheel on the Dremmel was just right for the tab on the ring to snap into.

A neat thing about this grill is that when it gets all heated up, it changes colors from red to dark brown. It's cool.

Looking forward to putting "Red" to work.

Pat

Thank you George. I think I'll take it for a trial run tomorrow. I'm smoking ribs in the WSM, but while I'm there hanging around the grill, I might as well run some chicken leg quarters through it. They were $.49/lb at Piggly Wiggly this week, so we're going to be eating some leg quarters!

Hope you are doing well and grilling a lot.

Pat

Thanks Bob - since I found it, I've become obsessed with finding the red Webers. Unfortunately, this is the only one I've found so far where I could get my hands on it. I'm still looking though!

Pat

S W E E T!

Pat, I think you can stop collecting grills now. I probably would be using that full time

Pat, can you provide the part number for the new style ash catcher ring? I'm attempting to restore an older Performer as well, and was told by the CSR that the ring is no longer made for this model. (along with the wire shelf) I'm thinking that a current OTG ash system would work in place of the original.

Mine does not have the metal bar, as the one touch system is still intact and doesn't look like pictures I've seen here on the forum.

Thanks
Mike

Hey Mike, I just restored a Red s/s performer as well. I have a thread a few down from this one. I did not have to order the ring, but I did get 2 new of the brace bars that go through it. I did not inquire about the ring itself. It seems like the same ring, minus the foot pegs, w/ two slots through it. Today, I actually received new stainless steel I ordered from Weber. It seems they had most of the old replacement parts. I have about $200 into it but it looks brand new and A third less of a new one. I will post pices after i pit the new skins on. The old performers just rock. I also painted the end caps red, along w/ the door handle.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Reply </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Beautiful job Pat.

Thanks for the kind words. I've done two cooks on the Performer - one just for the family with chicken breasts and the other with friends - steak.

My friend brought some nice steaks from a local meat market and I tossed on my bone in rib-eyes and we added some asparagus as well. Cooking was great and my friend, who has a "modern" Performer was impressed by the color and the stainless steel table top.

Now I'm working on a Green One Touch Platinum!

Mike, I'll see if I can find the part numbers for you - there are three separate part numbers: ash catcher, ash catcher ring and ash catcher handle, I remember that much. I just called Weber and told them "I need everything from the bottom of the grill down."

Pat

Thanks for the reply guys. From what I can determine, mine is a 1998 model. The woman I spoke with indicated that the ash ring was no longer available, and I'm assuming she meant the one held on with the bar. But, mine is supposed to be the new snap-in style according to the schematics on the Weber site. I've looked up the schematics for the OTG, and it shares the same part number. However, when I tried to give the woman the part number from the schematic, she couldn't find the parts. Hence, the reason for my asking about the part numbers you ordered/received.

I'll give it another try once the parts I've already ordered arrive.

Like Gary, I'll have about the same amount in this one once I've finished refurbishing.

Can any of you tell me how the lower cross members are held in place on the cart? I suspect there to be an expansion washer (grommet) of some sort but am not certain. I have the original hardware, but it is so rusted/unusable to determine what was there at one time.

Next step is to find a suitable replacement for those cross members as they are pretty rusty.

All in all, I'm tickled pink to finally be able to get my hands on one of these. It's definitely a labor of love. I'll start a new post of my own soon enough when I get around to putting it together.

I also wanted to mention that I just scored an older OTS (?) from the curb two days ago.

You guys that score Webers from the curb make me jealous. I drive down the streets LOOKING for those kind of finds.

My down the street neighbor tossed a OTG a coule of years ago. I drove home, cleaned out the back of my Explorer and drove back to get it and it was already gone!!

But I'm always on the look out!

Pat

Wanted to post an update...spoke with a different CSR last week and have determined that I own the "middle" Performer. (which I knew) This model utilized the "click-in" ash catcher ring, and have determined that the ring is still available under part number 90466.

Good deal, always a plus when you dont have to mess w/ a modification or two. Now order some parts and lets see that beauty
icon_cool.gif

Working on it Gary. Wore out my arm yesterday cleaning the stainless top with barkeepers friend. Need to finish cleaning the bowl and order some more parts. She's coming along nicely though. I'll be sure to post pictures when I've finished. Are they ever really finished? ;-)

Pat - that looks great. Good job, bud!

Mike Reynolds - you wouldn't happen to work for a certain engineering firm in KC, would you? A co-worker of mine is named Mike Reynolds, and I know he's really into motorcycles, like your profile says you are.

Chris, that wouldn't be me. I suppose it's a pretty common name. I used to be into a certain sports car years ago, and purchased some used parts online. Go to pick them up and the guy's name is Mike Reynolds. So was his dad's. Used to supervise a fella by the name of Jim Reynolds who shared the same birthday as me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back