Water leaking from Temp Gauge

S Bogdon

I fired up my 22.5" WSM yesterday for the first time. During the entire cooking process I had a steady drip/stream of water coming out from under the lid mounted temp gauge, is this normal?

Thanks is advance

I don't have a 22.5, so I don't have any experience with the lid-mounted thermometer, but if you were using water in the water pan, I suspect this was simply condensation. If the thermometer mounting is not air tight, steam seeping out at that point would almost immediately condense (I'm guessing it was pretty cool there).

I've never had that happen on mine. I agree it's probably condensation. I'd see if it needs to be tightened up a bit or just wait a couple of cooks to see if it gunks up enough to stop the flow!

Do like Harry Soo said to do when he cleans his pit,cook a bunch on bacon in there! Or just keep cooking normally. It'll get gunked up and stop. Keep up the good work and we need pics!

My 2009 18.5" WSM does the same thing when I use water on the pan. I plan to put a wrench on it before my next cook to see if it's loose. If that doesn't help I'll wait for it to get gunked up.

I fixed this problem on my 22" WSM by using heat resistant silicone to seal the thermometer hole and the therm indexing hole ... literally no sweat now!
icon_wink.gif

Back