My Old New Genisis – Walks down memory lane . . .

LarryR

TVWBB Diamond Member
PICTURES

Well, the last of the parts finally came in (PCI grates), what a pain it was finding these. The grates that I found at Home Depot that I was so excited about; turns out there was some kind of an error and even though the box said "fits Genesis 1000” they didn't. Just when I had almost given up and decided to go with SS I gave Weber another call and let's just say I got a customer service rep. who was willing to go above and beyond. These grates were only available through Home Depot (who has been out of them for the past 6 months) and they're very difficult to get a hold of. Bottom line, I think she bent the rules a bit to get me these grates.

So with all the parts here I decided to clean up the old gasser as you can see from the pictures, it had been a while since I've used her and yes, those are all original parts. Scraped down the inside of the fire box very well, had to scrape down the groves where the grates rest a couple of times to get them to fit and what do you know, a new grill in an old body/shell. I wish they could do this to me.

So I replaced the burner tubes and manifold (including regulator), the flavorizor bars and grates. Next I think I'll order a new basket and thermometer.

Why? So how's this for crazy, my SO wanted to buy me a new E320 for my birthday this spring but I told her no as I'd rather fix the old girl up. My father (who is no longer with me) gave me this grill 13 - 14 years ago, I have many great memories of fantastic meals, excellent bottles of wine, great cigars, children's birthday parties, 4th of July gatherings etc. and just overall great times . . . couldn't consider parting with her. Every time I use her I recall at least one memory from her past, almost like opening up a mental photo album or video library every time I use her. So, if her body holds up, I hope to have her around another 13 - 14 years of trips down memory lane.

Well, I grilled a couple of pork loins on the old gal Friday night and a cedar planked salmon last night and she runs like she's new. The PCI grates really give you a nice sear . . . I think I'm going to like them.

I'm quite happy with my decision to refurbish the old gal . . . I think I would have missed her.

Back