22.5" hinged grate that isn't stainless steel

Hayden McCall

TVWBB All-Star
I saw a hinged grate for the Weber 22.5" kettles that's different than the stock stainless steel one. I don't know if it's galvanized, or non stick...but I want one. Problem is...Weber's accesory section has been down for f'in forever now...and I don't know what the accessory is technically called so I can search for it. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Is this what you're looking for? Weber 7436 - 22.5" Hinged Cooking Grate

Weber-22%2E5-Hinged-Cooking-Grate~img~WEB~WEB1121_m.jpg

Good question. Nowhere in that product description do they even make mention whether that's a stock replacement great...or a stainless steel one...although the price seems to be too high to be either but a significant amount. I emailed Weber last night and got a response in under a minute. This was the response:

Hello Mr. McCall,

Thank you for your inquiry regarding the 22.5" hinged cooking grate provided on our Performer model and the Stainless option.

The "heavy duty" nickel over steel is what has been the standard for many years and what would have come on your performer when new. The Stainless is a recent option offered for Consumers who prefer this material. Here are the part numbers and cost if ordering directly from Customer Service;

Part Number/Cost/Part Description
3070784 $ 19.99 22.5" Stainless Steel hinged cooking grate
970920 $ 19.99 22.5" heavy duty hinged cooking grate

Items may be ordered over the phone (800-446-1071) or fax (847-407-8900), with any major credit card. Orders can also be sent by mail using a check or money order. All orders are shipped pre-paid. Orders shipped outside the continental U.S. may be subject to additional charges. Please add $7.00 U.S. for shipping and handling. (FL, HI, IL, NJ, NV, NY, MI, PA, WA & TX residents add applicable sales tax).

If you have additional, need, questions or comments, please do not hesitate to contact us. If replying via email, please leave this message intact as it will help us to respond faster. If you prefer, allow me to remind you that we are open 7 A.M to 11 P.M. C.S.T. every day. If you would rather call, the number is below.

Sincerely,
Gene Robb
Weber-Stephen Products Company
Customer Service
1890 North Roselle Road Ste. 308
Schaumburg, IL. 60195
Phone 800-446-1071
Fax 847-407-8900
Canadian Customer Service 800-265-2150
info@omcbbq.com

yer original one is not stainless but is the common nickel plated grate. the one with the flip up side grates is a genuine replacement alternative. can be found cheap at times. weber came out with a stainless model a year or so ago. the price is actually very good as you can see from the weber e mail. if you plan on keeping yer kettle i would recommend getting the stainless model.

Hey George. I ponied up and bought 6 of them. *laughing* I go overboard on stuff like this but...to me...this stuff will last a lifetime. I have two Jumbo Joe's...the predacessors to the Smokey Joe Platinum...and I ordered replacement grates for those too...four of them total. They don't have the hinged grates...but I'm ok with that because it's not like I do real long cooks on 'em. I also got replacement parts for the locking lid because I've bent a couple of them in the past and it sucks when you can't snap the lid in place when you're on the go.

icon_smile.gif
icon_smile.gif
i have five new hinged grates now cuz i found them on sale at target for 4.00 . at my age they will last me a lifetime.

Back