Live Stoker Cook on Web

LarryR

TVWBB Diamond Member
This is only going to be up a few more hours as the guy's meat is sitting at 143 as I type. I found this on the BGE forum. The guy has developed some kind of a web interface that reads data from the Stoker that is then broadcast on the Internet, it's pretty cool.

Check it out - HERE

It is very cool. I've reached out to this guy before to see if he is sharing this app or needs beta testers and he said that it is still in the development stage.

A., if he shares it with you please let me know as I'd be very interested in obtaining a copy of it.

Thanks David, I tried to download but after I click on the zip file a funky looking cat tells me, "That page doesn't exist!" Any ideas?

Problem was Google Chrome, used Firefox and it downloaded no problem. Now I've got a cool project to work on . . . like I need another project, LOL!

Master. Who is this guy, is he on here?

What's intersting about his cook is notice his grate temp has been higher than his dome temp (he's using an egg) up until about 12 hours into his cook and now the dome is around the same as the grate. What's interesting about that is I too have a ceramic I cook on and my dome is usually a couple degrees higher than my grate. It's funny, if you look at his POST he predicted this. I've never seen this before.

I hope getting this setup isn't going to be over my head.

I also cook on a ceramic but don't monitor the dome temperature (but have the sensors to do so, so perhaps I'll start). My guess as to why the grate temperature is a lot higher than the dome temperature has to do with the temperature of the meat. The meat is acting like a heat sink and cooling the air above it. Now we all have to learn about Mongrel and RubyGem

OK, I read his thread and I'm expanding my statement above. The reason the meat is acting like a heat sink is that the fat is going through a phase change (solid to liquid).

Hey A., I'm about 11 hours into a brisket cook on my ceramic and I've been watching grate vs. dome temps. On my Kamado I've experienced about 10 degree higher temps at dome vs. grate. Maybe this is just an egg thing?

I'm going to have to start monitoring my dome temperature. Larry, do you have something under the meat to block direct exposure to your fire? It could be that your dome temperature is hotter because of hot air going around the meat (missing it) and hitting the probe. My guess is that the other guy had his dome probe close to the meat.

Does dome temp actually matter? You're not cooking up there are you? If you have an extra probe I suppose it's interesting but all I care about is the area where the meat is cooking.

-rob

I go by grate temp too, just thought it interesting that that the two temps would intersect like that based on the meat temp rising. My product does sit pretty high in the dome though, I do my smokes on the top grate vs. main.

Yes I use a deflector and I'm pretty sure he'd be using a plate setter in his egg too.

Back