One more Q320 in Service

Kurt JP

Picked it up a week ago and have used it several times to make chicken legs one night, NY strips another and a pork rib slab another. The ribs I cooked on indirect with only the outside burner on low and then switched and mostly cooked indirect with only the center burner going on low. They were on for 3 1/2 hours at 270 degrees. There was no wind assist. The ribs had a nice crunch on the outside but tender inside and blackened on the edges. I didn't wrap'em in foil after. Maybe next time.

I must say that the handle light has been indispensable. The warming rack has come in handy also, although I've learned to only place the warming rack in position when I actually need it so that it's easier to clean latter. I love its small footprint so that hopefully I'm able to have room for one of next years 22 1/2 inch OTP, in red of course.

I live in the fog of SF where I park the Q outside under its cover. I like how it appears to be 99% aluminum, stainless steel or plastic. I think this baby should last hopefully as long as my Dad's approx. 50 year old 22 1/2 Kenmore/Weber kettle parked right next to it.

I foil lined the bottom with heavy duty Reynolds Wrap. We'll see how that works out. This is my first foray into gas cookers. I figured it would be good to have a gasser around should the "big one" come a rumbling one of these days and take out all the electricity. Did I mention the great sear marks on the steaks and veges?

I love my Q320 for all the reasons you mentioned. The temp control is awesome and it's very frugal on the gas usage, and you get a lot of cooks from the 20lb tank. The cast iron grates mark the food beautifully. I know I'll be using mine more and more as the weather gets colder and I won't feel like messing with charcoal.

I love my Q320 for all the reason already given, plus it's so easy to clean. I just turn it on to high for a few minutes after each cook to carbonise all the leftovers, and every now and then I clean out the fire box with a plastic spatula.

The fire box gets hot enough to vaporise drippings, and probably adds a kind of flavorizer effect, so I'm not sure if I would want to line it with foil.

-Mark.

Back