piedmont

jeff vogt

Hello, I smoked for the first time with the piedmont bowls. I foiled the pans top and bottom with foil balls in the top pan. I used two full chimneys of kingsford. I could not get the temp below 270. I had the bottom vents closed for 7 hours. Any ideas? Thanks, Jeff

Is that two full chimneys of unlit in the charcoal bowl? How many hot coals did you add? Need more info to be able to help but here's what I do.

I use the WSM pan with a clay pot both foiled individually then I foil both together. I fill the charcoal ring to the top with unlit coals and my smoke wood leaving a hole in the center. I then get about 15 – 20 coals hot using my chimney and pour them in the hole. After that I assemble the WSM, place my food on the grates and watch it come up to temp. Once I reach my target temp I adjust the vents and let the little beauty do her thing. Haven’t had a problem yet. Hope this helps and I’m sure others will chime in on their method.

Jeff

Maybe you're saying you used the Standard Method with 2 chimneys of lit ? If so, I imagine that would be difficult to get the temp down to around 250 when using the flower pot base as a sink rather than water. If you had a large amount of meat as an additional heat sink, perhaps you could hold the temp. down.

Paul

I lit one full chimney. When it was done I dumped it and put one full chimney of unlit on top. Started smoking when when the unlit was gray. I smoked 2 brisket flats. Thanks Jeff

Jeff,

You have way too much hot coal. The Minion Method (MM) states for using much less, check this link.

I use all lump myself, so modify for my situ'.

Back