Weber "Economy" Kettle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brian Moriarty

TVWBB All-Star
I see that Weber made an Economy Kettle for Sears that has no logo on the lid vent and it has an ash pan that the coal grate sits on. The pan has holes around the edge. I've got a couple that I picked up for parts for drum smokers I'm working on. Is anyone using these kettles? How do they perform compared to the branded models?

Well they make no name steaks, but I prefer mine with a name. Why buy an "economy kettle" when a Weber Kettle will last for a lifetime?

Well, like I said I picked them up for parts, and I agree its nice to have a name brand, I'm just curious about the ash pan inside the kettle? And since Weber makes the "Economy" kettle and the people assumed they were a Weber they, if properly cared for should last a lifetime, unfortunately most that I come across are neglected. This is basically a Bar-B-Kettle with an ash pan the coal grate sits on in the bottom of the kettle.

Weber Grill Australia, last time I checked offered an economy model complete with the Weber name on it.

Brian,

Thank you, you've helped me identify the kettle I picked up roadside last summer. Same ash catcher in the bowl setup. It's still sitting in my backyard awaiting restoration. Thought a quick cleaning and maybe a new cooking grate would take care of things, but the dampers are locked up solid and I'll probably have to drill the rivets/screws out. Too many other projects taking precedence at the moment. I'm thinking I'll just remove the internal ash pan somehow and get the external pan used on the silver kettles.

Mark-before you drill the rivets out give the vents a spray of penetrating oil on both sides, it works remarkably well on stuck vents.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Brian Moriarty:
I see that Weber made an Economy Kettle for Sears that has no logo on the lid vent and it has an ash pan that the coal grate sits on. The pan has holes around the edge. I've got a couple that I picked up for parts for drum smokers I'm working on. Is anyone using these kettles? How do they perform compared to the branded models? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This weber was made for sears branded as a kennmore. I have one in excellent shape,
It is no different than the Weber 22 1/2 Bar-B Kettle. In fact it has some unique features that I wish came standard on Webers.
I wouldn't say it is an economy kettle other than the fact it is made by Weber For sears.

I like the porceline coated ash catcher the the feature that the lid hooks and pivots inside of the ketttle, that combine with the tab on th einside of the lid makes it very convenient for opening to check food without having to take the lid off. I will take pictures of mine and post them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back