Can someone describe Roadside Chicken?

Rick Lea

TVWBB Super Fan
I would like to give this a try. I read the recipe but I am trying to figure out the end result. Sweet, tangy or what? It seems to be real popular, based on the posts in the recipe section.

If you have tried this, would it work well with skinless breasts? Would it also go well with a pacific island-style tri-tip which is based on soy sauce, ginger, etc?

I am having a party next weekend and am looking for a chicken to go with the tri-tip.

Thanks,
Rick

Sorry Dan,
I didn't understand a thing you said. Must be some new type of shorthand but I really didn't see the body of your message.

Anyhow, thanks for trying. I appreciate anyone who responds to my questions.

Rick

hmm i feel dumb. well I just assumed it would flood with responses i appologize.. I just meant I really like it, but I dont know a word you said of "pacific island-style" tri tip either so I wont try to answere that, were even. The chicken is great though.
edit: I don't actually even know how to describe, im not much help, its kinda tangy I guess but you better check back w/ someone else, its just really good is all I know.

I like it. To me it has a very mellow aftertaste that is really good. I havent made it for a long time but it is good. Hats off to Bryan for giving the recipe to everyone.

I prefer my "parking lot chicken"
icon_razz.gif

Rick,
The best way to describe the Roadside Chicken would be "tangy"........not spicy or hot, just tangy. The combination of flavors especially the vinegar really come through nice. The key to goooooood roadside chicken is the more you baste the more flavor you're adding!

I've used the marinade on spare ribs, boneless chicken breast, chicken pieces and country style ribs and it works great on all of them!

Rick,

I usually use either spatchcocked whole chickens or thighs, but I do have a couple of family members that will only eat skinless white meat, so I have cooked boneless, skinless, breasts using that method, and they're very good.

But like Bryan S. says, the skin is the best part (in my opinion).

I think it would be a great poultry complement to your tri-tip.

Try a small batch this weekend. You can do a
few skinless and a few pieces with skin. Then
if you like it, you will have a little more
experience before cooking for your party. It
does sound like a great combination to go with
your Pacific tri tip.

Originally posted by Larry Wolfe:
Rick,
The best way to describe the Roadside Chicken would be "tangy"........not spicy or hot, just tangy. The combination of flavors especially the vinegar really come through nice. The key to goooooood roadside chicken is the more you baste the more flavor you're adding!

I've used the marinade on spare ribs, boneless chicken breast, chicken pieces and country style ribs and it works great on all of them!
yep, if I had to use one word to describe roadside chicken 'vinegary' would be it

Thanks to all

It sounds like a good companion for my tri-tip which will be a little bit sweet. Sweet and tangy. I like it. I am going for the skin on breast with the bone in.

Originally posted by rick lea:
I am going for the skin on breast with the bone in.
God Love ya!
icon_smile.gif
If you use white pepper it will give you a nice pepper kick, I use fresh ground right from the mill that's ground super fine. Yes it does take several hundred twists but.... The chicken is vinegary but also tangy from the Woosty sauce, and nice bite with the white pepper. Hope you like it, please post your results. Remember to marinate it before grilling (no oil since using skin on chicken) for the ultimate tang.
icon_wink.gif

Originally posted by Dale Perry:

I prefer my "parking lot chicken"
icon_razz.gif
Dale, You crack me up!
icon_biggrin.gif

Originally posted by Steve Z:
Just thought I would add that it is awesome the next day cold, too!!

Steve
Yes it is good cold, with a jar of Hellmann's as a side with it.
icon_biggrin.gif
It also makes a stout chicken salad too.
icon_wink.gif

Heaven!!! Complex amount of flavors, with tangy being dominant and then the spices start to tease you. Be careful it can be addicting. It reminds me of the chicken the church served at fund raising events when I was a kid.

I love reading some old posts and this topic (Roadside Chicken) is STILL popular today.
So, I just bumped it up to draw your attention
icon_biggrin.gif

Think I'll cookup some "tangy" chicken this week
icon_biggrin.gif

Like everyone else says it is nice and tangy. Since making Roadside Chicken for the first time a couple of months back, I find it hard to do chicken any other way! Again, thanks to Bryan for such an awesome recipe!

Ya know what? I'm doing some RS this weekend. We're entertaining and it's been a couple months since I've done it. Thanks for the bump Jim. Now all I have to worry about is sides.
icon_smile.gif

Back