High temp - my fault

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Just wanted to pass on a beginner's learning experience.
I experienced a high temp situation when starting a smoking session today. The lid temp hit 315* and the top grate temp hit 307* before I realized I better do something(duh). I closed the bottom vents completely. After 2 hours the top grate temp is down to 237* and lid temp is 245*

I used the same amount of fuel in the charcoal ring as in previous smoking sessions and external climate(air temp, smoker location and wind) was similar previous smoking sessions without high temp.

I believe my mistake was letting a full Weber chimney of charcoal to get completely cherry red before dumping into the WSM.

I realize I should have reacted earlier. Hope this is useful for others. Hope I haven't trashed the pork butt or I will be flipping burgers for dinner.

Brian,

I don't think letting the coals get too hot was the issue. Keeping the bottom vents open initially was likely the biggest culprit.

Good luck on the butt.

Steve

Steve,
I left the bottom vents fully open to long during the initial firing? I knew I shouldn't have gone off and thrown some horseshoes.

Thanks

Brian

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back