Rust? in WSM

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

After smoking 2 butts this past weekend I noticed some rust colored powder on the inside of my lid and down the side of the cooking chamber. I thought the WSM were enamal coated. If I rub hard with just a dry rag it comes off and back to a black finish. What gives?

------------------
Good Cookin'
Dan

That's not rust, it's smoke and grease that results from the cooking process. It will build up, then flake off over time. Just brush it off using a stiff bristle brush before cooking. It also washes off easily.

Chris, This stuff sure looks like rust. If you run your finger across it you get a dry brownish powder on it. Never got anything like it on my weber kettle in two years of smoking on it.

------------------
Good Cookin'
Dan

I can't speak as to why you never experienced anything similar in your Weber Kettle, but it's definitely not rust. As you said in your original post, it wipes off to the original porcelain finish.

I get this rust-colored residue every time I cook...in fact, after two years of use and buildup, one day it all just peeled off with a spray from the garden hose and my unit looked new just like the day it came out of the box.

Thanks Chris. I'll just hose it off and keep smokin. BTW I ordered one of those wireless thermometers from frontgate after reading your test run results. should be here in a couple of days. With a 365 day money back guarantee how can you go wrong?
Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back