Your Penzy's Shopping List. (NOT A PIC POST)

Joe InJersey

TVWBB All-Star
Guys, We can move this out of here if we have to, but could the guys that swear by a lot of Penzy's seasonings please tell me what you like most and for what cooks?

A sort-of-new Penzy's opened right by my wife's workplace (about 45 mins SW of home in Summit, NJ) and I wanted to send her in there with a few bucks and a shopping list.

The two that I see/remember seeing are Galena st.(?) and BBQ 3000.

Your favorite picks and opinions on their stuff would really help me make my list.

Thanks.
-Joe

FYI bagged product is cheaper than jars.

Ground chipotle and ancho peppers are popular here. Allepo pepper flakes too. I'm slowly replacing previously purchased spices and dried herbs with mostly Penzys.

See if you can get a catalog - evidently their web marketing department is different than their mail one (much nicer).

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Greg M.:

Ground chipotle and ancho peppers are popular here. Allepo pepper flakes too. I'm slowly replacing previously purchased spices and dried herbs with mostly Penzys.

See if you can get a catalog - evidently their web marketing department is different than their mail one (much nicer). </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks for the input. Maybe I'll have her pick one up (catalog)at the store before I send her with an order.

Definitely buy the Aleppo Pepper and the Chicago Steak Seasoning (which my wife and I love on roasted veggies). Their salt free Mural of Flavor is also very good.

Ray

My list consists of six blends that, in my mind, are must haves...
1. BBQ3000
2. Galena Street
3. Chicago Steak
4. Northwoods
5. Old World
6. Adobo (salt-free)

I do not run out of these.

I'll second the Galena Street & Greek, & add Spicy Taco, Bay Leaves, and Lemon pepper. Next time I order I'll be getting an assortment of their various pepper corns (white, green, & whatever else I see.

Hey fellas, thanks for the input!

It's the blends that I'm after.

Regular spices I can get inexpensively around these parts. (I'm on the road in the 5 boroughs of NYC a lot). There's a ton of "mom and pop" ethnic groceries. Many have normal (pantry) and exotic spices by weight.

I'm definitely gonna start with healthy sized orders of the BBQ 3000, Northwoods, and the Galena St..

Anyone try any of their Indian mixes? Their garam masala or tandoori?

I also saw on the website a Paris herb mix and an herbes de provence. Thoughts?

Thanks again!

I like their Garam Masala, Maharajah, and their Balti better than the Tandoori.

Ray

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ray Crick:

I like their Garam Masala, Maharajah, and their Balti better than the Tandoori.

Ray </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'll try the GM too, then. I thank you.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Greg M.:

See if you can get a catalog - evidently their web marketing department is different than their mail one (much nicer). </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Noted. thanks, man.

Back