Chili using the point

Thanks Kevin..I have Pasilla peppers on hand, (dried) do you think those will work well in conjunction with the NM Chili peppers?

Absolutely.

The last time I made chili I used a more typical (for me) approach--a mix of fresh and dried chiles, spice dumps, etc. In this case I used ground and diced chuck but smoked point would work well. I use smoked point for chili more than I do anything else with it.

This one is a bit more involved--but worth it. Though written for fresh chuck, I've added parenthetical notes as to how I'd suggest using smoked point instead.

Whole dried chilies:

2 large mulatos
3 aji amarillos
1 guajillo
2 pasillas

Prep the chilies: Bring 2 c of water to a boil in a kettle. Meanwhile: Heat a med sauté pan over med-high heat till hot. Lay half the chilies in the pan (or whatever amount will just fit) and toast the chilies, pressing down on them with a spatula, briefly, then flipping them immediately. Do this quickly a few times being careful not to burn the chilies. Dump on a plate on the counter to cool; repeat with the remaining chilies.

Put the chilies in a small bowl then pour the boiling water over them. Weight with a small plate to keep them submerged. Set your timer for 10 min. When the chilies are soaked, lift each out and put on a plate to cool. Strain the water to remove whatever seeds are in it back into your sauté pan. Remove the stems from the chilies then split the chilies with your fingers. Remove and discard the seeds as best you can; they're sticky. (I am not anal about removing every seed--just mostly; I do it quickly.)

Put the chilies into the water that you strained into the pan; bring to a simmer. Allow to cook, uncovered, till the water in the pan reduces to half its volume, about 20-25 min. Reserve.

The rest of the recipe:

1 large red bell pepper, stemmed, seeded, coarsely chopped
1 Anaheim, cubanelle or banana pepper, stemmed, seeded, coarsely chopped
1 large jalapeño, stemmed, seeded, coarsely chopped

2 cups finely diced yellow onion
2 T unsalted butter
1/2 t dried thyme

1st dump*

5 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
1/3 lb smoked bacon of best quality, chopped finely (I use my own sassafras-smoked bacon; I'd suggest the best bacon you can find commercially if you don't make your own, preferably hickory-smoked) (If using already smoked point you could skip this--simply finely chop a handful of point.)

2 lbs beef chuck, cut into 1/4-1/2-inch cubes
1 lb ground chuck, chili grind, preferably, if possible; regular ground chuck (If using already smoked point, you can either dice half normally, and finely dice the other half--or you can dice some, leave the rest in larger chunks, then break up those chunks with a spoon as the chili cooks and the meat softens.)

1/3 c brewed coffee
1 6oz can pineapple juice
6oz beer (I used Corona--I think a dark beer is too dark for this)
2 t unsweetened cocoa
2 t Better than Bouillon beef base
2nd dump**

1 28oz can whole tomatoes in juice, briefly pureed (See note 1)
1 14oz can diced tomatoes in juice, briefly drained
1 t Better than Bouillon beef base

3rd dump***

The dumps:

*1st:

1/2 t cinnamon
pinch ground celery seed
1/4 t ground cloves
1/2 t ground coriander
1/2 t marjoram
1/2 t ground cumin

**2nd:

1 T granulated onion
1 t granulated garlic

***3rd

2 T sweet paprika
1/2 t coriander
1/2 t cinnamon
3/4 t ground cumin
1 T granulated onion
2 t Mexican oregano

Put the chopped fresh peppers into a blender or food processor. Add the reserved cooked dried chilies and their water. Puree all together. It should be the consistency of ketchup, and you should have about 2 c. If necessary, add a little water to puree more easily and/or bring the level to around 2 c. Reserve.

Heat the butter in a large pot. When the foam has subsided, add the finely diced onion and the dried thyme, stir, reduce the heat to med and cook, stirring occasionally, till the onions are lightly browned all over. Scrape the onions to the side of the pot and add the 1st dump blend to the center, spreading it out a bit with a spoon. Let these spices briefly, about 15-20 secs, then stir well into the onions. Add the finely chopped bacon and the garlic. Cook, stirring frequently, about 3 min, till the bacon takes on a little color (but doesn't brown).

Add the cubed and the ground chuck and stir well. Cook, stirring occasionally, till the most of the beef has lost most of its raw look. (In chili-speak, 'graying' is the term used to mean meat cooked till it loses its raw look but doesn't brown. What happens is that the meat heats and loses some fat and moisture. The meat steams in this mix and loses its raw look. If one allowed the moisture all to evaporate, then the meat would start actual caramelization--browning. This is usually frowned upon in chili because the meat's texture changes as a result.) You can drain some of the fat at this point if you wish. I never do.

(If using already smoked point, simply heat it till quite hot-since graying isn't possible.)

Add the reserved pepper puree and stir well. Add the coffee, pineapple juice, beer, cocoa, the beef base, and the 2nd dump mix. Stir well, bring to a simmer over med-high heat, then reduce the heat to med and simmer, uncovered, about 45 min. (See note 2)

Add the tomato puree and the diced tomato; add the beef base. Stir well, return to a simmer over med-high heat, then reduce the heat to med/med-low and simmer gently, stirring occasionally, 40 min. Add the 3rd dump, raise the heat to med, then cook an additional 10-15 min till the desired consistency is achieved. (See note 3)

Adjust salt. Serve.

Note 1: Do not use canned tomato puree. Do not use whole tomatoes packed in puree either. Both have a rather overcooked taste from the get-go. Get whole peeled tomatoes packed in juice; puree briefly. Same with the canned diced tomatoes; get the ones packed in juice. Most are.

Note 2: I like this recipe as written. I also like chili made without tomatoes and this could be done as an alternative. At this point in the recipe one could simply continue to cook, adding a little water if needed, till the meat cubes are tender. Skip the 2nd dump. Add the 3rd dump, mix, and cook another 10 min or so at a gentle simmer, adding a little water to make the consistency correct. Adjust salt. Serve.

Note 3: The consistency should work out right at this point. Water may be added, if needed, to correct it. I shy from adding more of the other liquids (beer, juice, stock) as I think the balance shouldn't be upset. Your choice.

Sorry for bumping an old post but I love the search option. I was thinking of adding beans to this chili (heresy I know). What type would you recommend and when should I add them. Thanks for the help.

Well, to me 'chili' does not have beans. If one adds beans - perfectly acceptable - then it's 'chili with beans'. I like both.

For this chili I like Yellow Indian Woman bean or Pinquito. If you're looking for supermarket beans then I would go with pintos or garbanzos.

The above are all dried. Cook them first then when almost done add them to the chili.

I virtually never buy canned but if you're taking those then I would go with pintos or garbanzos as well,

Kevin, you know this stuff inside and out. Since you won't write a cookbook, how about I publish your recipes! Ha Ha
The public deserves your insights. Maybe an ebook? You can do it. Is there no $$$ in it?

I don't believe I've ever said I wouldn't write a book. I'd love to. It's just hard to do on my own (remember, I now have four disparate businesses). I can write, I have someone to do photographs/illustrations, but I need someone to coordinate. That requires some explaining. If you're interested shoot me an e.

Back