lighting

Anyone have a lighting system they would recommend? Just bought a Coleman 12x12 and wanted to use something brighter than Christmas lights. Perhaps LED bar or something like that?

Assuming (I know) you are wanting light to work by the best bet will be a clamp on light or cap light. LED rope lights are decent for general lighting, or perhaps working if your eyes aren't as old as mine.

I saw one the other day that looked like a bar of lights but it lighted up their area so well. It wasn't big lights or anything. I didn't get a chance to ask them where they got it.

If you're looking for some bright lighting to work by, use one of the portable 100w+ halogen flood lights (over in the lawn tool section of most HD/Lowe's) or if just some general lights I'd use rope lighting of some kind

I just buy those elcheapo clamp on lights from HD or Lowes. I clamp them to the ribs of the canopy and point them towards the work surface. They're easy to move around and if I lose one or it gets bashed around during setup/teardown, I really don't care that much. They're cheap.

During the night I turn one up towards the top of the canopy and it makes the canopy glow. First it gives me a soft light to check temps by. Second it allows me to find my way back to the site after dark cause I can pick out my canopy really easy.

Just be sure to bring an extra bulb or two.

I used to use those rope lights but all it takes is for one bulb to burn out and the whole thing goes dead.

Russ

Yep, the clamp on lights with some 23w or 18w CFLs...those and some light gauge extension cords.

Keep a couple of extra lamps (CFLs) in the box in your tools/etc. in case you break one.

LED's don't attract mosquitoes and draw very little power. Unfortunately, high watt equivalent residential floods aren't available.

I've been using solar LED lamps at the cottage this year and they work just fine for ambient light but they can't light a prep area.

I have some of those clip-on lights with the flexible necks to light the WSMs. I also have a 'swing-arm' lamp that goes on the prep table for turn in boxes. In the peak of the canopy I clip on one of those cheap aluminum 'bowl' lights for general lighting.
This year I also have a 500W halogen flood light mounted to an old lawn sprinkler tripod that will really help illuminating the WSMs.

Back