Frozen meat for comps?

fred nevill

TVWBB Member
Hi all, I know this question has probably been asked before but I couldnt find what I was looking for.

I am entered into a contest on Aug 26th and 27th. It is only going to be thighs ribs and pork and then peoples choice and the organizer is furnishing meat for peoples choice(what it is has changed 3 times in 3 weeks).

That weekend falls between paydays and yes I can wait to buy meat but here is why I am asking. There is a grocery store that I have found in a little town not far from me that has butts, and they are good ones, for $.99 lb right now. Their spare ribs, basic Hormel, are $1.59 lb. These prices have been for at least 2 weeks but I am afraid if I wait prices will go up, but I can buy now and freeze. I have never used nor heard of anyone using meat from their freezer for comps.

Should I jump on this, or wait? The closest Sams or places like that are an hour and a half away so they are not really a viable option, so it will be go with this place or get it at Walmart.

Thanks for any advice.

Fred, Many of the teams that use premium brisket ie Wagu, buy frozen. I know of other teams that regularly use frozen meats for comp. I personally don't use wagu, but also buy my meat for comp fresh. I do use frozen for test cooks, every home cook is a test cook.
In the end you gotta do what you can do. The prices you are quoting are good even for Calif. I normally hold cryovac brisket for 4 weeks not frozen. You may be safe to vacuum pak and hold fresh at a controlled cold temp, or go frozen and cook the best meat with the best flavor and presentation you can. I doubt many judges will be able to tell the difference. You can always re hydrate whatever is lost during the freezing process.

Mark

I almost always cook frozen briskets. Ribs are usually frozen before they hit the store, so I try to buy them still frozen and defrost them before the comp. I have also frozen chicken that I trimmed. Key with all three is that they are in cryovac or vac-sealed. I have cooked frozen butts at home and that is the only meat I insist on getting fresh. They just seem to shrink a lot when they have been frozen.

Fred,

I know the conventional wisdom is to NEVER use meat that's been frozen. I challenge that convention, I believe the caveat is that there can't be so much as a single ice crystal in the meat when you put it in the cooker or it won't work. If it is totally thawed, you're in good shape.

I generally put my meat in a cooler to thaw. If you leave it out, the outer meat will be thawed and in the danger zone while the middle will be frozen hard as a rock. If you put it in a cooler to thaw, it thaws out more evenly. IMHO

Mileage may vary.

We have had no issues with using frozen meats for comps...
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Back