Cod recipes/techniques?

Eric Michaud

TVWBB Super Fan
My plumber does quite a bit of Cod fishing and he gives me fresh catches often. I was looking for any recipes you all may have.

Thanks,
Eric

I do cod like this. A more detailed description is here. I switch the herbs around, depending on what I'm doing with the cod. Like salmon, it's good hot from the smoker, room temp, or chilled. Nice in a spinach salad with grapefruit sections, toasted almonds, onion, and grapefruit-honey vinaigrette.

Very nice Kevin, I love the presentation of the salmon. Looks awesome and sure it tasted as good. A couple of questions for you, what temp do you shoot for to stabilize, you said you start at about 280 and let it drift down. What are suggestions for citrus wood for smoking? I think I will try the slaw with cukes and radish as well, Thanks again.

Eric

I simply Minion the start (I always do), load the fish in immediately when assembling the cooker (I always do that too) and, in this case, cut the vents when the temps get into the mid-200s. I let the temps drift down - I am not looking for stabilization - and by the time they drop the fish is done. You could, however, simply target a low/slow temp of, say, 250, using water or whatever in the pan if you wish, and simply smoke till done to your liking. Remove, rest a few, serve; or wait till room temp then serve; or chill after cooling and serve chilled.

For the slaw, halve a cuke lengthwise then scrape out the seeds by running the tip of a teaspoon down the center of each half. Grate the cuke halves using a medium grater into a sieve, toss lightly with salt, then allow to drain for 30 min or so. Grate a few radishes with a fine grater then toss together with the drained cuke; chill. Before serving, adjust salt and add a little white pepper and, if desired, a pinch of sugar and a few drops of lemon juice. (Also good with a little minced fresh or dried dill leaf. I skip this if using dill on the fish or in the sauce though.)

bury it in salt for a few days, then rinse and soak for a few hours and you have something similar to soaked salt cod.

Just about every cuisine has traditional dishes that use salt cod as it was a very transportable protein that made its way around the world.

some of my favorites are:

brandade
stamp and go
pick-up saltfish

Back