First ABTs and Wings

Jon Des.

TVWBB Gold Member
It's been a busy week or two, and it I haven't had much time to spend on here other than a few peeks from my phone. I've been working on a project at work and it's kind of thrown my schedule off. While I'm catching up, here's a few recent cooks that came out great. Both were firsts for me, but definitely won't be the lasts.

ABTs made with homemade bacon and cream cheese blended with some of my smoked cheddar.

c7d1119c.jpg

They were smoked for a while at a fairly low temperature so that they could travel the next day. 5 minutes under a broiler crisped the bacon back up and melted the cheese.

The peppers just started to get soft.

0337a325.jpg

And some wings. I intended to separate the drumsticks and cut the tips off, but was racing against a storm front. The wings were removed from the package, patted dry, and seasoned with salt and pepper. The lights a little (or a lot) strange in this picture because I still have a yellow bug light out back.

dd1510b4.jpg

I came out to check on the wings and heard loud sizzling as soon as I opened the door. I panicked a bit because I thought the wings were incinerating, but it was just snow hitting my WSM.

5e86b010.jpg

Cooked at 300-325ish for about an hour, then crisped at 350 for a little while. There was one lump of Cherry in at the beginning, and I used the WSM with no waterpan method that I've read about on here. Right into a bowl of Frank's, Sambal Oelek, butter, and Worcestershire.

58cbd221.jpg

Tossed and plated.

0b1c11f8.jpg

There were 14 whole wings, so 28 halves. This was all that was left afterwards, and I'll let you know right now that Erin doesn't even like wings. She ate 12, and I ate the rest. Not only were they better than any I've had at a bar, but I felt much better after wolfing down 16 of these than I would after a dozen that were deep fried.

64416d6a.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Forgot to add that the ABT bacon was partially cooked on one side. Next time I will not mess around trying to wrap the bacon around and stab it (and myself) with a toothpick, and will just put a piece on top of the cheese length-wise.

JiminyCricketsJon!
Looook AT this!!!! ?
64416d6a.jpg

See ALL That shé~cone meat left behind??!!??!!
Man0maN! I'd crunch those up without blinkin' an eye!
And ?THESE? rascals wouldn't stand a chance with me in the room
0337a325.jpg

Beautiful cookin'man! brought a tear to my eye
icon_frown.gif

Same disappointment as Jim, according to my neck of the woods you've left some good quality meat on those wings! That's a sin.......mind you they do look delicious, great job.

Thanks for the comments everybody!

Jim and Mike - I assure you that there was not any meat left on the bones in that bowl, you're just seeing wing tips. Next time they'll end up as stock so you'll never know!

Back