4 Hr Pulled Pork on the Mini

Wow that pork cushion looks mighty fine.Never heard of pork cushion...looked it up and it is part of the shouldler.
Love my mini smoker !!!!

I am trying to find a good piece of pork to try my first BBQ on (on my 22.5 OTG w/my Smokenator). Good in terms of a shorter cook and somewhat forgiving of my first attempts. I might do ribs or there is a wonderful peppered beef stout recipe others have pointed me towards.

I grill a ton and have done smoked beer can chickens, rotisserie meats (pork, chicken, beef) but nothing longer than 2 hours.

Would you recommend Pork cushion meat? Or not because it might dry out if I make mistakes?

Thank you -

Laura

Laura,
Pork is a very forgiving cut of meat. I would try a small pork butt and see where it takes you.
If you can manage to keep your temps under control, just start it out early and figure 1.5 hrs per pound. The hotter the temps, the shorter the cook..
I think you'll be suprised..
The trick is to not peek and a good thermometer..

Laura I would go with a boneless pork butt (or buy bone in and debone).

Then cut it in half.. and cook the two smaller pieces.. I would suggest temps in the upper 200s (270-300) and the pork should be done in 4-5 hours.

Thank you - cook both smaller pieces at the same time? Pork pork pork, yum.

My biggest worry is keeping those temps under control for that length. I'm a good griller, can grill for a while at different temperatures (medium heat for veggies, ramp up to searing for steaks, etc.). I'm feeling a bit intimidated and worried about investing a ton of time and then messing it up. BUT - the low slow I've tasted has been so good. I bought this Smokenator, time to use it.

Thank you -

Laura

Back