1T cane (turbinado) sugar
1T dry oregano leaves
1/2t dry basil leaves
1T dehydrated minced onion
3/4t granulated garlic
2t dry parsley flakes
1/4t crushed red pepper
pinch white pepper

Gently bring to simmer, turn off heat, allow to cool.

Needed pizza sauce tonight, didn't have any and no inclination to drive to the store to get some. I had some big cans of tomato sauce down stairs so I thought to give it a go with dry herbs. It turned out pretty good, oniony, at any rate better than the couple of canned sauces I've tried since I started making pizzas.

In the pot and on the pie:
2008-12-13a025.jpg

Pie with sauce, mozza & asiago, roni, sauteed shrooms, onions and garlic:

2008-12-13a026.jpg

Edit:
I updated the recipe to cut the sugar in half. Also reduced the cooking time. This tastes even better after it has sat in the fridge a couple of days.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> what cheese/s did you use? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>been doing about 80/20 mozza asiago, sometimes + a grind of parm.

I did another batch of sauce on Sunday, this time I used a whole shallot and 3 cloves fresh garlic, sauteed soft in the sauce pan ... added the wine vinegar at the end, more like a tbsp. I still ended up adding a few of those dehyd minced onion bits ... I really like the taste of them, can't help it.

One can I opened was like artificial flavored red starch water. I'm gonna give fresh tomatoes and herbs a go at some point, in the meantime this is better.

BTW: Suggestions, improvements or link to your sauce recipe welcome ... I was pleased with this for a first cut at it (imitating commercial), but I'm sure there is better sauce to be made.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">improvements </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is a fun link to read. He takes his pizza very serious, to the point of breaking the lock on his oven to obtain 800+ degree cooking temps.

Jeff Versanos NY Pizza Recipe

Point #8 is about sauce. It is a very simple style, not much more than crushed plum tomatoes, pinch of salt and maybe some oregano. I made some based on his advice and found to be really great. I don't think I use anything else now when making pizza at home.

Shawn,

Great looking pizza. Here's my .02. Lately, I've been working straight from canned crushed tomatoes. Experiment with a few brands; I've used '6 in 1'an Escalon brand, Cento and Contadina with good results. The crushed seems to impart a degree of fresh flavor.

Paul

I prefer Contadina Crushed and Sauce mixed else some good San Marzono's (chop them up). Another thing I will try in mine is to take grape or cherries, roast them with EVOO, S,P,Galic at 400 deg until they pop, then cool, squeeze out of the skins and course them up in a processor. This works as a great base that I use in lots of other recipes. Mix them with the sauce and herbs spices, make a really good base. Takes more work though.

Back