Grilled Ham Steak

Rita Y

TVWBB Emerald Member
I'm looking for a nice, savory variation for grilled ham steaks -- without fruit. Will anyone share an interesting recipe for a weeknight?

Thanks,
Rita

Here are a few combos I like:

Dijon with maple syrup and a little cider vin.

A simple syrup made of lemon juice and brown sugar with horseradish mixed in.

Chinese mustard (or Dijon) with dry sherry and a little hoisin.

Rum with lime, a little brown sugar, and butter.

Shallots sauteed in butter with thyme and a little sugar till caramelized then deglazed with coffee and pureed with a little Dijon and a few drops of really good balsamic.

I usually score the steaks on both sides, not cutting too deeply, and grill on high heat about 2 min/side. Then I start painting on whatever mix I've made and flip frequently so as not avoid scorching, painting each side after flipping.

Many thanks, Kevin. Your *new and improved* redeye gravy with the thyme, mustard, and balsamic went over really well. I did brown the ham steak in an iron skillet to get some fond and I added a little brown sugar for balance - a real keeper.

You remind me of a local chef (another Kevin) whom I'm very fond of. He'd make up a recipe name for a cooking class schedule and the morning of the class he would noodle out a few ingredients to fit the aforementioned recipe name, send in a recipe to be typed for that evening's class, and cook it for the class cold. And it was always great. One can only imagine the foundation knowledge that made that possible.

Thaks for the help! I was looking for something a little different, and that was perfect.

Rita

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I did brown the ham steak in an iron skillet to get some fond and I added a little brown sugar for balance - </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Wonderful.
I wasn't sure how involved you wanted to get. I usually brown a small piece of ham for fond then save the piece and use it for breakfast or to flavor potatoes the next day. Browning first for fond was a good idea.

I often do the same: think of a recipe name first. I also like to stand in my kitchen with the pantry and fridge doors open, scan quickly, then come up with something from there. Fun for me,

Taste the meat not the sauce,

I have had very good results with plain ham steaks. Make sure they are thawed, melt some butter; and throw them on the grill for about 1.5 min a side depending on thickness. Brush the butter on liberally.

Peace

Back