Fresh Pork Hocks: Ideas Welcomed (and appreciated!)

Jim Lampe

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
I have 5 fresh pork hocks weighing about 1 lb to 1.4 lbs.
DSCN3046.JPG

DSCN3049.JPG

Any ideas you have to cook/smoke these is greatly appreciated! The crazier and/or wilder the better!
icon_biggrin.gif

Thanks!

Inspired by J. Biesinger, I'm trying confits at the moment. Maybe these parts could be done that way? Salted overnight or for a couple of days, and then cooked sous vide in vacuum bags. The meat might be to tough, but you wanted crazy ideas.
icon_smile.gif

Another idea.

Remove the rind and save it preferably by removing it as a whole piece. Cut up the meat and the fat into half an inch layers, make a mixture of spices such as basil, garlic, pepper, a hint of cinnamon and some coriander. 2% salt. Lay down layers of spices, meat and fat , and stuff the pork rind. Fill it up real good. Tie up in a cloth, bind it up using cotton string, and roast it in the oven at 300 degrees, inside the cloth until center temp is 170 degrees. You might want to add some gelatine as well. Let it cool, and slice up in thin slices, and use on bread.

Smoke em and then throw them in a pot of baked beans/green beans/collards/kale/etc. That's what my Gams (90 year old grandma) would do.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">That's what my Gams (90 year old grandma) would do. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
That's what I do - though I'm not yet 90!

I flavor the cooking water first, by simmering in the water for quite a while. Then I remove the hocks and cook the greens. Meanwhile, the hocks cool and I remove all from the bone, separating off the fat and mincing the meat. The meat gets added to the greens when the greens are ready for serving. Sometimes I do not include the meat with the greens, but, rather, save some greens separately in the fridge, mince and save the meat, then combine with the greens plus scrambled eggs and rice for breakfast the next day.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Marc:

Smoke em and then throw them in a pot of baked beans/green beans/collards/kale/etc. That's what my Gams (90 year old grandma) would do. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh yes!...smoking it and cook it with baked beans as a soup....add vinegar to the soup once it is in a bowl, and eat it with fresh green onions and french bread...my mom used to do like that and I loved it...I still do, sometimes my wife makes a bean soup and puts smoked hocks in it..

Not my quote but that is certainly a favorite. If I was gonna smoke them, my preference has been to do a cure first.

Back