Biggest Problem with Temp Probes

Pat McCreight

TVWBB Pro
I have a stoker and absolutely love the control it gives, especially on overnight or long cooks. I just hate all the wires that need to be run into the smoker. 1 for the fire, 1 or more for meat if desired. Don't get me wrong, I like to know the temp of my meat, but routing the wires under the lid or through eyelets is just a pain in the butt.

So, why doesn't somebody invent a wireless probe? Something you just stick in the meat and it sends a signal to the stoker / guru / etc. No wires. Wouldn't that be great?

I'm guessing the temperature inside the smoker will render any and all electronics moot, but I can still wish for it, right?

Pat,
Try the Maverick Wireless Remote Model ET-75. Do a google on it. About 60 bucks.
Born and raised in Aurora, long story.

The transmitter is mounted on the handle with probe inside and a cable to the trx. Receiver is separate.

ET-75 Manual in PDF

Interesting - thanks.

So, the technology exists. Now I need Rock to make some for the stoker since I already invested $300+ in that.

Doesn't ET-75 have a box that sit on the Rotisserie and run the wire over the rod for that?

Making such a device will be super difficult. It needs to have its own power and the electronics+battery have to witstand extreme temps. Even if you built one, it would be rather bulky due to battery.

Except for industrial applications, I don't think such a device will see light of day for consumer use.

Oh, and it the case of WSM, it would be hard to transmit signal through the metal shield that smoker provides. So you would need a lot more power making the device even heavier.

If you let me be, I will think of more reasons why it is difficult to do
icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Amir:
If you let me be, I will think of more reasons why it is difficult to do
icon_biggrin.gif
. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I hear you - Just throwing out my pie in the sky ideas for other, more knowledgeable folks to shoot down. Sure would be nice, though.

Oh well, back to routing wires.

I don't think we'll see wireless from inside the cooker. I don't know of any affordable batteries that would hold up to the temps.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Maverick Wireless Remote Model ET-75 </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

And wouldn't the WSM be a Farraday's box? Rough time getting the signal out.

Back