Swedish Meatballs

Tomas Bjornerback

TVWBB Member
Jim Langford asked me if I could provide a recipe for Swedish Meatballs, so I asked my mother for her secret recipe! /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

I'll do my best to translate the ingredients to English, but don't hesitate to ask me if anything is unclear or doesn't make any sense:

400 g ground meat (50% beef, 50% pork)
3 slices of fresh, white, bread ("French bread")
1.5 dl standard milk (3% fat)
1 egg
0.5 chopped onion (very small pieces)
salt
pepper
1 tsp flour

(2 tsp dijon mustard) (optional!)

* Mix the egg and the milk in a bowl.
* Remove the edges from the bread.
* Put the remaining bread in the bowl so it will absorb the liquid and get soft.
* Add the ground meat, the onion (and the mustard if you want to include it) to the doe.
* Add salt and pepper according to your own preferences.
* Let the doe rest for 10 minutes.

* Put water on your hands and make meat balls, about 2 cm (0.8") across.

* Use a mixture of butter and oil (1 tsp each should be sufficient) in the frying pan.

* Fry the meat balls for about 10 minutes in your frying pan, but don't fill the pan at once. Add a few meat balls at a time (or your pan will get too cold and your frying will turn into cooking).

* Check if they are ready by tasting one of them.

** You're in for a real treat! **

/Tomas

Hi Tomas,

Just a quick couple of questions ~ 400 g ground meat is grams? and 1.5 dl milk is deci litres (deci = 1/10 therefore, we're talking .15 litre milk)?

Sounds like a really good (secret) recipe. What do the Swedish eat with Swedish Meatballs?

Thanks for the recipe! /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Yes, it's 400 grams and 0.15 litres milk (about half a cup).

Normally we eat cooked potatoes and fryed eggs to the meatballs. Omelett (crack the eggs in a small bowl, add one tsp water per egg and some black pepper, mix with a fork, then fry) is even better than regular eggs.

"Prince-sausages" (fried) is also an excellent companion to the above (2" sausages with high meat content).

/Tomas

Back