best slicer for the money

D German

TVWBB Member
What is best home slicer for the money and is it easy to disassemble and clean. Hobart is to rich for my blood. Seems like chef's choice 610 for $99 is choice for many. Thanks

There is a thread farther down below this one that is about meat slicers. You may want to read it. Also if you go to Amazon and read the reviews about the Chef's Choice 610 I think you will find good reviews on it.

Chef's choice makes a few different models, you may want to check them out also. I am also thinking about buying one so I can make Italian beef and home made roast beef.

thanks for the reply. I did read that thread but was specifically asking for opinions on different slicers and if there is much difference for the money. Chef's choice seems to get the best reviews but is there a difference between say the 610 and 625. Thanks

I can tell you that the 610 works good, and I'de buy another one... the only way anyone would know the difference between the 610 and 625 is to own both seems to me...
icon_confused.gif

I thought Mike's reference was about as good as it gets.
My interest only goes as far as to spend 100 bucks though, mine will have an easy life of slicing bacon and the occasional roast beef/type stuff, sausage, etc. Nothing huge. Its very sharp and precise, has never done anything yet that made me regret it, easier to clean then a spoon.
icon_wink.gif

I researched this purchase a while back and found that you can get Hobart slicers really cheap (<$300) from Craigslist and used restaurant supply stores. Restaurants go out of business all the time, so there is a very active market for used equipment.

Having a Hobart is a really cool idea, until you realize you don't slice meat all day long, and the thing takes up a ton of space and is really heavy to be lugging up from storage in the basement to the kitchen when you want it!!

best for the money... I have a 12 in by Update International for about $20. They cater to the Restaurant Equipment community and I picked it up at a local Restaurant Supply store.

It was pretty sharp to begin with but I finished it with two stones (course and fine) and a steel so that it can pass my sharpness test.

Just realzied the thread was about mechanical slicers... oh well a little slow today.

John

Back