Lump vs. Briquettes

Status
Not open for further replies.

PJ Polke

TVWBB Member
So what is better, lump or briquettes? I have been using lump because I am afraid of the additives in briquettes, but lump is more difficult to deal with for food requiring longer cook times. If briquettes is the way to go, which brand is best? Also, should you generally use less smoke wood when using lump charwood?

For a long burn Kingsford will do a very good job, it burns warmer than some of the other briquet brands out there.
Using lump or briquets look for a good product, pick the brand you like and adjust your fire tending accordingly.
Stay away from anything that is an insta-lite product and you'll probably do fine.
There has been talk about the quality of the lump out there lately, some have found lump that had been treated one way or anohter, paint, stains or ??. Use your best judgemnet.
Jim

About the amount of wood you should use if using lump, you will find that lump gives very little smoke flavor. I would use only 2 or 3 fist size chunks with either lump or briquets. Use more if you want more smoke flavor on another cook if that's not enough. You will find what you and your family and friends like the best.
Jim

Good morning PJ:
I've used both and at first had the same concerns as you. I began my WSM career (sic) using maple charwood from Peoples, et al but the stuff is very expensive and takes a long time to get. After I got really rolling, I finally took the most commonly accepted advice of the folks here, like Jim, and moved to Kingsford. It's infinitely less expensive, truly burns clean and most definitely gives you not only a warmer burn but a longer one also. I found this last attribute most appealing since I had better things to do than baby-sit my WSM all day! You will further demonstrate your culinary skills also if you heed the advice of Jim and the other pro smokers at this site when they say to use only two or three fist chunks of smoking wood. This saves you money and delivers a much better smoked product. Hope this helps in your decision.
?.John

Kingsford works and it is completely predictable! Nature's own lump works well also, but it does burn very hot and subsequently quicker. Do not use the Walmart brand lump (Real Taste brand?). Quite possibly the worst taste of meat that I ever got was using this crap. The only way to use it was to burn it to ash grey before putting the meat on the grill and then it was still dicey. I am convinced that along with some oak and maple it had wood from recycled dog kennels in it! Nuff said!

S.C. Que

Alright -- I'm convinced. The folks at Kingsford should be happy as well. Now I'm looking forward to the 12 hour brisket this weekend...

Don't forget your little bit of fruit wood to kick it up a notch...

------------------
Regards,
--
Steven A. Davidson, President
Ma's Smokin Chips, Inc.
PO Box 433
Palouse, WA 99161
Phone 509.878.1475 9am-5pm PST Monday-Friday
Fax 810.314.2439 24/7
http://www.smokinchips.com
Certified allexpert at <A HREF="http://allexperts.com
Subscribe" TARGET=_blank>http://allexperts.com
Subscribe</A> to our newsletter for deals, updates and recipes at
newsletter@smokinchips.com Put SUBSCRIBE in the subject line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back