Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I just acquired a Weber bullet smoker and did a rack of ribs. Generally, I was pleased with the result, but I'm hoping somebody can answer a few questions:

1. Smoker runs hot. I started off by getting some coals burning, then I added unlit coals up to the top of the chamber. When just about everything was grayed over, I installed the middle section, added a full pan of water and put on the lid.

I measured the temperature using the thermometer that Weber sells for their gas models. I just stuck it through one of the top vent holes, so that the tip is a few inches above the top grate. Within seconds of putting on the lid, the temperature had climbed to about 400. I closed the bottom vents almost all the way, and it gradually dropped to about 320 and stabilized. At this point, I added 3 fist-sized pieces of soaked wood, which brought the temperature down to about 270. It stabilized there, so I put on the meat. The temperature didn't move much during the next six hours (although a little more than halfway through it started to climb again until I brought it down by added more soaked wood).

During the entire cycle, I had the bottom vents open only a crack. I was afraid to close them entirely, for fear of choking the fire to death.

Can anybody tell me why I couldn't get the temperature lower than 270?

2. Are these ribs done? After six hours, I took off the meat. Ribs are difficult to check with a meat thermometer, but I couldn't believe that six hours wasn't enough. Initially, I was surprised since the meat was still pinkish in places; however, the texture was that of fully cooked meat, so I assume that the pink color was a result of the smoke. However, one end of some of the ribs (the end which originally was near the spine) still had some unrendered fat, and the color made me wonder whether it was fully cooked. Is it possible that six hours was not enough? By the way, does anybody have a good method of getting a reading with a meat thermometer on ribs?

3. Water refills. Can anybody suggest a safe method of replenishing the water pan? Pouring water from a foot above the pan, into hot fat, seems pretty dangerous.

Thanks.

The reason your temps are so high is the fact you have all the charcoal burning. Chris has optional fire-up methods posted you will want to try.
One thing to consider if you are measuring the pit temp in the top of the dome and say
it is 270* then the bottom grate is most likely about 225-230*, the top grate 245-
250* and those are good cooking temps.
Spare ribs are usually done in aprox 6 hours.
The way I check ribs is to run a toothpick
thru the meaty section between the bones, if it feels like it's going thru butter there done.
I use a plastic gas can (used only for this purpose) to fill the waterpan. I fill it thru
the door directly into the pan.
Jim

Rob,

Jim was referring to his method of temp control...The Minion Method. I beleive Chris has a short write up on it here at the web site. I will save you a little time....

FILL the charcoal ring. Light 15-20 briquettes in a chimney. DO NOT place the chimney on top of the unlit briqs. When the chimney briqs are ashed over, spread them on top of the unlit ones in the charcoal ring.

I also add my wood and meat at this time! Monitor the temp and when it gets to around 180 start to turn the bottom vents down. How much you turn them down depends on a lot of things. Just be aware you will have a delayed reaction to turning them down. Don't be concerned if you have to close them COMPLETELY!! Many new units are not totally snug and therefore when you close them completely, you will still have some airflow.

As Jim mentioned you want your grill level temp between 220-250. That makes your vent hole temp around 240-270.

As far as the water pan, I use a small goose-neck watering can and add it through the door.

Don't be surprised if your spares take longer than 6 hours!! I have done "bronto" spares that take 9 hours. These are the HUGE slabs, usually well over 5 pounds, that cost $.99 a pound. This weekend I did 10 racks of regular spares(37 pounds including the trimmings) and they took 8 hours to finish. I always aim for a grill level temp of around 220. But that's just me!

On my "bronto" spares, it is farily easy to take an internal temp because they are so big! On regular spares look for the meat to pull back from the tip of the bones. Depending on the size, anywhere from 1/2" to 1" should be good enough.

Good Luck to you!

Stogie

Thanks. I had read the description of Jim's method; however, I've always had the sense that briquets give off some fumes when they first start to catch, so I felt more comfortable getting them all lit before the meat goes on. In any event, it sounds like maybe I wasn;t running that hot after all, taking into accout the difference between the thermometer location and the meat itself. Next time, if necessary I won;t be afraid to close the vents all the way and see if that helps.

When you apply an open flame to Kingsford
the offgas you get is different than that of
putting charcoal on top and allowing that to
lite off your charcoal. The other thing to consider is the charcoal is burning fresh material until it is gone. The material on the outside is the same as the inside, so unless the gray ash is a good filter the offgas you are worried about is happening
all the time.
Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back