Cornbread 101

Mike Saunders

TVWBB Member
OK I have seen cornbread recipes by the hundreds. I have eaten cornbread tat has had everything in the sun added. I couldnt care less for most of them. Here is my tried and true recipe. This is REAL southern cornbread.

I use the 2-2-2 formula.
2 cups Martha White Self Rising corn meal.
2 eggs.
The next "2" is the secret ingredient.
2 heaping tablespoons of mayo. PLEASE - no salad dressing, I'm talking MAYO. And I mean HEAPING tablespoons.

Take a 9" cast iron skillet. You can't cook cornbread in anything else. Take that skillet and put just enough veggie oil to cover the bottom. Heat your oven to 400*F and pop that skillet in there. While it is preheating, mix the 2-2-2 with enough buttermilk to make it kinda slowly ooze out of the mixing bowl into the skillet. You dont want it pouring out. That is too much buttermilk. It is just right when you have to scrape just ever so slightly with a spoon to get the last dob out of the bowl.

Now pull out the skillet. Pour in the mixture quickly. You should hear it sizzling. If you dont, next time leave the skillet in there longer.

Set your timer for 18 minutes. Check it then and if it has a nice color on top and brown around the edges, you are good to go.

If you had enough oil, in a skillet that is seasoned well, the aforementioned "pone" of bread will flop right out onto a plate once you turn that skillet upside down.

Now.........take a LONG bread knife and slice that puppy longways. I mean cut the top off. Like two halves, top and bottom. Lay the top over to the side and spread butter all over the bottom and put the top back on. You may need gloves.

Slice in wedges and slap someone if they try to steal your piece!

I'm out..........Mikeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Durn your hide Mike Saunders I read the post at 11:00PM and had to make some.
icon_wink.gif
Where I am from in Paris TN there is a wivestale that cornbread. and milk at night will bring out the haints. They were chasing all night but at least I had a good tasre in my mouth
icon_biggrin.gif

Next time add the ONLY ingredient worthy of cornbread - cracklins. Dont go overboard with them. Just a half a handful in the batter.

I'm glad you enjoyed the recipe. Simple but good.

Mikeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

Back