Babybacks and Pepperoni ABT's

Mike Coffman

TVWBB Olympian
DSC_2694_r.jpg

2 racks of babyback ribs, one rubbed with Plowboys Yardbird (the one with the toothpick) and the other rubbed with John Henry's Jalapeno rub.

DSC_2699_r.jpg

Onto the rib-o-lator with a couple of chunks of apple wood.

DSC_2706_r.jpg

ABT's with cream cheese mixed with Penzeys 3000 and some ground red chipolte from Penzeys. Filled the jalapenos with the cheese mix, put 2 pieces of Hormel pepperoni on each and then wrapped in bacon.

DSC_2715_r.jpg

Added to the rib-o-lator and then pulled the ribs.

DSC_2719_r.jpg

Ribs are done. The smaller one with the jalapeno rub broke in half when I picked it up off the grill. Both were definitely toothpick tender. Wrapped each in foil and sprayed with my apple juice/vinegar/cranberry mixture.

DSC_2720_r.jpg

Pepperoni ABT's are done.

DSC_2727_r.jpg

My wife was still shopping and I was hungry, so......
icon_biggrin.gif
The ones on the left are the jalapeno rubbed ones and the plowboys on the right.

Got to admit the ribs and ABT's were super delicious. The jalapeno rubbed ones were basically fall off the bone, while the larger ones had a good crunch to them. They took just about 4 hours to complete and I did not foil along the way. Even in the high winds today I was able to maintain a dome temperature of about 300. I did this by closing the bottom vents completely and taping over two of the exhaust holes. I used both of my weber charcoal baskets, starting with 25 in each and 6 lit in each basket. Had just enough coals left to finish the ABT's. I will definitely make this meal again.

Thanks for looking!

Super job all around. Great platter of food!

The ABT's appear to be done perfectly. No leakage, the bacon appears crisp and the peppers look to be roasted well.

Good bark, moisture and meaty bones on the ribs. Nice work.

Looks super! Great smoke ring on those ribs. The more I see results like this the closer I am to picking up a rib-o-later.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I will definitely make this meal again. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>aaa... YEAH!!!
Looks EXCELLENT!!

Mike, That all looks fantastic.

I've used regular peps in my ABT's and have recently been using turkey peps. They are good too without as much grease.

Back