Smoked dog bones

JW Lanning

Our dog Bella the goldendoodle loves to eat bones and meat. Thought I would try smoking the bones from a buffalo quarter we just bought.

Put the bones on frozen on my weber smoker and let her rip. The temp stayed around 200 for most of the smoke, did not really watch it to close. Must of smoked 45lbs of bone. The top and bottom was filled. Bella has Mesquite breath after chomping on the bones and meat.

Lots of advantages of giving the dog smoked bones. Not as messy as a raw bones with meat, blood and fat. Keeps the house a lot cleaner and the dog likes the smoked flavor! It also preservers the meat with out refrigeration, I hope....

Sometimes ya just gotta try with out knowing what your doing . Was not able to really find any information on smoking bones for the dog. The butcher wanted a dollar a pound for smoking the bones and I thought we could do it on our own.

Check out the picture...Bella kept an eye on the smoker to make sure no one took her bones...

https://picasaweb.google.com/l...ones?feat=directlink
Jim

Lucky Bella!!

Remember Henry Gibson on "Laugh In"?
"What about the Buffalo?"
icon_biggrin.gif

just stumbled across this. WOW that is sweet Jim! Wish I could get Bison bones here in CT! My dog, true to her breed (pit bull), has wicked food allergies so I have to watch what she gets. Bison is one of the meats she's good with.

Hey bill,

We harvest about 8 buffalo each spring. The meat is the best and lowest cholesterol of the red meats. I must have cut up 6 large buffalo livers and hearts along with all the bones. The meat is a big part of Bella's diet along with the bones.
Have you read the BARF diet for dogs?http://www.barfworld.com/

Hi JW, yea I LOVE buffalo! Great tasting meat! Yes I've read up on the barf diet. I feed her a grain free food called Orijen. It's expensive but worth it. She's been eating it since she was 12 weeks old. Just wish I could get bones for her to chew on. Chew toys last like a week! lol

Back