Texas > Austin: The Salt Lick (Driftwood Location)

Chris Allingham

Administrator
Staff member
The Salt Lick
18300 FM 1826
Driftwood, TX 78619
www.saltlickbbq.com

I visited Austin to attend SXSW and made the trek on a rainy Saturday night to The Salt Lick's Driftwood location. Despite the weather, there was a big turn-out and long wait to be seated for dinner. But that gave me lots of time to check out their famous open-pit barbecues. When they saw me with the camera, they said, "Come on behind the counter and take some pictures!" I thought I was special (!) but they were happy to let anyone come around behind the massive stone pit to take photos of the impressive amounts of brisket, sausage, beef and pork ribs, and turkey breast being slow-smoked over an oak fire.

At the Driftwood location, it's cash-only and BYOB, so we brought along a six-pack of Fireman's 4 Blonde Ale, a local brew from the Texas hill country. Most people brought coolers (some little, some big!) for their beer. We got seated in the rustic dining room at a worn picnic-style table and bench and contemplated the menu.

Ended up trying "The Rancher" plate dinner, a sample of brisket, pork ribs, sausage, and turkey. Also ordered a single double-cut beef rib that I shared with a buddy.

I was really impressed with all the meats. The turkey was the weak link, but no fault of theirs, it's just the most mild tasting meat. I thought the brisket was really flavorful and cooked just right. The sausage was delicious and moist...so good. The spareribs were a little too fall-off-the-bone, but still tasted great. And that beef rib was rich and deeply flavored.

When I got to the end, I realized I hadn't even added any sauce to my plate, other than the little bit they'd drizzled onto the brisket. It didn't need any, and we always say that's a sign of good barbecue, right? I did try a taste of the original sauce on bread and didn't care for it. I commented that it tasted sweet like salad dressing, only to read in another thread here on TVWBB that there is some speculation about a salad dressing being one component of the recipe.

I have to admit I didn't pay much attention to the cole slaw or potato salad. I did enjoy the beans, though.

It takes some effort to get to The Salt Lick, but it's definitely worth it. It's an experience from the moment you come around the bend in the road and see this huge facility and parking lot spread out in front of you until the moment you waddle back out to your car with a serious food coma setting in. There's a real energy in the place...you know something special is going on there and they're doing something right! It's quite a production and was a very enjoyable experience.

Facebook photo album of The Salt Lick

Regards,
Chris

Great review Chris!
The Salt Lick is one of the joints i want to visit before my warranty expires.
Question: can you really smell their pits miles away?
icon_wink.gif

Thanks for a fine review Chris!
Guess that's one off your bucket list, only to be put on mine.

Just checked, it's a 14 hr. drive from here
icon_frown.gif

Pick me up on your way down Jim, I'll ride shotgun and navigate.

The best bbq I have ever had was when I visit my daughter's family in Austin. Have not been to the Driftwood, but will on my next visit. There are numerous great places in that area. We used an article in USA Today as a guide, but I have misplaced it....tom

Nice to see you post something personal Chris. Great review. Very much appreciated. Any chance of an update with pics?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gary H. NJ:
Any chance of an update with pics? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Yes, I've got a bunch, but they're on a camera and can't get the thing connect to my laptop to upload them! I'll do it soon.

Regards,
Chris

First time I ever heard of the place was in the original "Road Food" guide from the '70s! Went there and met the original owner a nd his wife who was from Hawaii(i think). It was REALLY out in the country and hard to find in 1979 believe me.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jim Lampe:
Great review Chris!
The Salt Lick is one of the joints i want to visit before my warranty expires.
Question: can you really smell their pits miles away?
icon_wink.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes Jim, you really can smell their pits for a long way off.

I've been to Austin loads of times for work (at least 5 times a year for the last 6 years) and I've been to just about all of the places people talk about. My October 2008 pilgrimage to 5 different spots in a one week period is one of the best BBQ experiences I've ever had.

The only thing that I could see being better is a big ole pork steak cooked in the P1Gvillion!!

Thank's for the pics Chris. I stopped there in the early 80's when I was Bungalow Bustin.
Love the one of the pit and the re-bar grates. Those will hold some serious meat.

Tim

I visted this location last year, and it was a really cool experience. The food was great, but the environment was just as good. One of the more memorable BBQ places I've been to.

The Lick is a gorgeous 20-minute drive from here and we go there pretty regularly. It's kind of in the middle of nowhere, but it's crowded for dinner every night. (Go for lunch if you don't want to wait.) All their meats are reliably good, but like most Central Texas joints, the sides are uninspiring. Best way to order the meat is by weight. The "small" sides are enough for two or three, so save some dough and order more meat. The sauce is the most unique in the area -- and maybe the most unique in the world. It matches perfectly with the brisket.

We like their pork ribs and sausage. If you go on Sunday, try the prime rib -- you won't regret it.

That is a great place. I was driving thru Austin and remembered I saw it on Man vs Food or something like that so. I looked it up on Yelp and decided to check it out. I think it was on a Sunday afternoon and the place was packed and had live music. If I remember correctly, it is also BYOB. Their BBQ open pits are really something to see. Just a great place to spend some time and enjoy life and good food.

Back