Is this the redesigned charcoal grate or the "classic" ?

It's identical to mine (several years old). I took some light-gauge steel wire (bought at the hardware store), and filled in the two gaps with a zig-zag "spiderweb" pattern. That has been very effective in keeping stray pieces of charcoal from falling through.

Funny! I'm not that tweaked, but since I was shorted one of the grate supports I will kindly ask for the redesigned one that should have been included. I just wanted to be sure I got the old model.

Based on the open boxes holding small parts, old style charcoal grates and my crudely photocopied instruction manual, it seems Weber was in a hurry to catch up to existing orders.

It seems unlikely it was an oversight but it is possible. It will be interesting to note their response to our requests.

If you don't mind me borrowing your thread, I gotta say somethin' here
icon_biggrin.gif
Im very surprised at the grate blocking the vent problem to this day, and now i'm reading all this crazy wrong packaging stuff and shortage of supports etc. (your other thread).
I guess while I was waiting for the 22 I was really hoping they'de fix these little kinks etc.
Dissapointments to me so far that i've read include, still have a cheesy door that appearantly shows up in bad shape (again) out of round conditions (forgivable but ...again) "wonky" conditions still exist and never were corrected for the more money you pay (again) and they've added this grand new problem that they sell worldwide... vent touching grate thing!!!(i really cant comprehend how this happened, and got marketed) problem is that Bryan S. is gonna have to sell his custom piece to everyone on the board (in his "mod" thread) to fix, on top of those.
icon_biggrin.gif
k sorry, so what will I do you ask?? ... I'm still buying one anyway. LOL. but you know what i mean???
icon_wink.gif

Dan, not familiar with the grate blocking the vent issue or Bryan S's mod to fix, post a link?

I agree that with the increase in price out of round conditions, missing and incorrect parts, etc should not be happening. My front door was not contoured properly either but was a quick fix.

Robert, Sorry to hear you got the old grate, and your new WSM was missing a grate/water pan tab. But all that said one question for you. Has anybody ever said to you that you look like a clean cut version of James Hetfield? If that was a pic of you in your link. Just wondering, and sorry for getting off track.
icon_redface.gif

A quick search proved James Hetfield to be a pretty dashing guy. Yeah, that was my photo in the link.

While you're here, what's with the reference to the grate blocking the vent and your marketable mod to correct it?

hey Robert or "Het" lol. I havn't personally seen this cause I don't own one but here's what i've seen mentioned several times now. in this "mod" thread and in a few other places. Appearantly you can also remove the stop tabs also but I thought that would be not as convenient because often times I'll reach behind the cooker and just feel whether there open or closed and that stop tab let's me know its fully closed. But hope that helps amigo. (that duck looked good in the pic upthread) I was hoping this would ring a bell w/ you cause unfortunatly, like I said, I don't own one yet. Maybe since you have the wrong grate, you havn't noticed yet for that reason. On the other hand I'm wishing I owned one now and had one in front of me because maybe that means that old grate is better for that reason?! Wish I could see myself what everyones reffering too. Does it seem like that "old" grate would work? or no... good luck

Ah, I see the light now. Thanks for that link. I have not used my wsm yet, but I just checked it out and took a shot for you to see. I don't think the tabs will be in the way of the grate. This shot does not make it all that clear, but here it is: photo of grate/vent tab interface
Perhaps with use and buildup of ash and smoke residue I'll change my mind. What the photo does not show clearly is the 1/4" gap all the way around. The gap is much larger than the height of the vent tabs.

I also noticed that with the vents closed, virtually no daylight peeks through. I know some have broken these tabs off to "completely close" the vent. Again, I'll just need to try it out and see if I deem this a necessary mod.

By the way, the "new, redesigned" charcoal grate should not change anything. They just closed up that gap at the edge to keep charcoal from dropping through...

I can't believe that Weber let these go off the production line with the grate in the way of the vents dampers. I just can't comprehend that from a quality firm like Weber. Obviously, equipment like the WSM is tested many times and the vent/grate situation would have been as obvious as the nose on my face. I'm not ordering a new WSM because I don't need one, but I'd be holding off if I were ordering because of this problem. I'd also be calling Weber customer service to see if they were aware of this problem and if they solved it. Good luck to you people who spent $300/400 on a new WSM. Hope you can get your problems solved. Also, to throw an old grate in with a new WSM is just ridiculous IMO

So Dave,

Does your "classic" wsm have the charcoal grate sitting so close to the vent? As I said, even though it looks close, there is not actually any interference at any of the vent openings. Again though, I have not actually fired her up.

I can't imagine Weber moved the mounting holes for wither the vents or the charcoal grate on the 2009 model. Can you or anyone else confirm that the old grate/vent interface is the same as the picture I just posted?

I could be wrong, but I thought the problem with the vent was on the 22 inch.
Your photo looks just like my 08, but the tabs do look a little longer.
HTH
Tim

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Robert Terry:
So Dave,

Does your "classic" wsm have the charcoal grate sitting so close to the vent? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
The grate is not in the way of the dampers. I never heard of this problem in the old WSM's.

I called weber this morning about the charcoal grate and the operator told me I should just use the one I have. To be honest it doesnt seem to be a big deal, but should I have been more demanding and is it way more useful than the old design? On a brighter note, they did offer to send me a new lid. The one i got had a dent in it which I didnt notice until I went outside and started cooking. They told me to keep the old one and they were gonna fedex me a new one. Cool!

The old charcoal grate has spaces on two sides through which smaller pieces of lump can fall. If you don't use lump it's not an issue. If you use lump, a small amount of small pieces may fall through. You are right in saying that it's not a big deal. At least I haven't found it to be. Stick a few briquets over the spaces. Some got a 2nd grate and when placed over the 1st forms small squares

Robert I owe all you guys an appology, It was stuck in my head that you had the 22''. You shouldn't have an issue w/ the sticking vents on the grate at all. Through your pic I can see You have exactly what I do. Again sorry all of you esp. Robert for that confusion. You should be all good to go! Shes shiny and nice. Thats a plus though for you now, I think you'll love the unit. The 22 had the problem I was reffering to, if you search around a bit I bet you can find pics, I seen one before but don't remember where, it simply (like Dave mentions) is almost laughable to me at least.
But again I think your in great shape and will really enjoy your cooker. again sorry about that (its even in your threads first post
icon_rolleyes.gif
<at myself)

Back