4th WSM Brisket

Mike P.

TVWBB All-Star
I've not been to the Brisket promised land yet but I have finally seen over the mountain top! This one turned out Great using all the info gleaned from the fine folks here.

I've been in mourning since my LSU Tigers got err' "spanked" by bama. Did this cook January 2nd.

All I could find at the local Sam's was a select packer's cut:

2uot6rc.jpg

It had about 1/4" fat on bottom. I just trimmed the hard fat and the knuckle:

23n1p3.jpg

Tried k-salt and KC Butt spice this time:

6jm6g4.jpg

Also tried the Texas Crutch (foiling) for the 1st time:

290pjbm.jpg

After about a one hour rest:

1z14w21.jpg

Sliced:

a6t93.jpg

Of course hindsight is 20/20, but next time I'll give it about another 1/2 hour. This one has been the tenderest one yet. I'm also looking for a place to buy choice brisket.

Thanks for lookin'!
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Nice looking brisky Mike! Any pics of your set up on the 18.5 WSM? I want to do one, but want to see how others set theirs up first. Thanks!

Well done Mike. Brisket can be tricky, but it'll get better with each try. If yours is tasty and tender, you're good to go!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by george curtis:
looks good. but i would suggest cutting it a bit thinner. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks george. My wife said the same thing. Just one more thing to remember next time.

Thanks to all for the replies.
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Mike
Brisket looks great! Nice smoke ring! I even like the cut - I cut mine a little thicker also.
Great price - $2.38 lb. Looked at them last week at local WalMart - $3.99 lb. for whole packers & $5.49 lb. for flats. They didn't even look good. Going to have to check Costco this weekend. Remember when brisket was "give away" meat - $1.29 lb. packers and on sale for .99 lb. - not much more for flats. Weather condition extremes and all of us dang barbecue'rs have really driven up the price of meat!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Larry Corall:
Mike
Brisket looks great! Nice smoke ring! I even like the cut - I cut mine a little thicker also.
Great price - $2.38 lb. Looked at them last week at local WalMart - $3.99 lb. for whole packers & $5.49 lb. for flats. They didn't even look good. Going to have to check Costco this weekend. Remember when brisket was "give away" meat - $1.29 lb. packers and on sale for .99 lb. - not much more for flats. Weather condition extremes and all of us dang barbecue'rs have really driven up the price of meat! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks Larry. I hear folks talking about Costco. We do not have one around here to my knowledge. Sounds like a good place for beef. The local Wal-Marts here only seem to carry flats.

Back