Salmon Tacos

DennisM

TVWBB Pro
I got this from one of my fav mags,(FOOD and WINE) and it is really delicious..made is several times, and think it is great.

ingredients
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon finely ground coffee
Salt and freshly ground pepper
Two 8-ounce skinless, center-cut salmon fillets
Extra-virgin olive oil, for brushing
2 tomatillos, husked and quartered
2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
1 small jalapeño, seeded and quartered
1 garlic clove
6 tablespoons sour cream
1 ripe Hass avocado—halved, peeled and pitted
4 cups finely shredded red and green cabbages (12 ounces)
8 corn tortillas
Hot sauce and lime wedges, for serving

directions
In a small bowl, stir the cumin with the chili powder, brown sugar and coffee. Season generously with salt and pepper. Brush the salmon fillets with olive oil and dredge them in the spice mixture.
Meanwhile, in a food processor or blender, puree the tomatillos with the cilantro, jalapeño and garlic until smooth. Add the sour cream and process until smooth, then add the avocado and pulse until creamy. Transfer the dressing to a large bowl and season with salt and pepper. Add the cabbage and toss to coat.
Preheat the oven to 300°. Preheat a grill pan. Lightly brush each tortilla with olive oil. Stack the tortillas and wrap them in foil. Bake for 10 minutes. Meanwhile, brush the grill pan with olive oil and grill the salmon fillets over high heat, turning once, until nearly cooked through, 8 to 9 minutes. Transfer the salmon to a plate and flake with a fork.
Fill the tortillas with the salmon. Top with the cabbage slaw and serve right away with the hot sauce and lime wedges.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DennisM:
I got this from one of my fav mags,(FOOD and WINE) and it is really delicious..made is several times, and think it is great.

ingredients
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon finely ground coffee
Salt and freshly ground pepper
Two 8-ounce skinless, center-cut salmon fillets
Extra-virgin olive oil, for brushing
2 tomatillos, husked and quartered
2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
1 small jalapeño, seeded and quartered
1 garlic clove
6 tablespoons sour cream
1 ripe Hass avocado—halved, peeled and pitted
4 cups finely shredded red and green cabbages (12 ounces)
8 corn tortillas
Hot sauce and lime wedges, for serving

directions
In a small bowl, stir the cumin with the chili powder, brown sugar and coffee. Season generously with salt and pepper. Brush the salmon fillets with olive oil and dredge them in the spice mixture.
Meanwhile, in a food processor or blender, puree the tomatillos with the cilantro, jalapeño and garlic until smooth. Add the sour cream and process until smooth, then add the avocado and pulse until creamy. Transfer the dressing to a large bowl and season with salt and pepper. Add the cabbage and toss to coat.
Preheat the oven to 300°. Preheat a grill pan. Lightly brush each tortilla with olive oil. Stack the tortillas and wrap them in foil. Bake for 10 minutes. Meanwhile, brush the grill pan with olive oil and grill the salmon fillets over high heat, turning once, until nearly cooked through, 8 to 9 minutes. Transfer the salmon to a plate and flake with a fork.
Fill the tortillas with the salmon. Top with the cabbage slaw and serve right away with the hot sauce and lime wedges. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sounds good, but why oh why would someone ruin such a good meal with HOT SAUCE?? When the salsa you have just made is good?? Even better if you grill the tomatillos, jalapenos and garlic?? I for one hate tabasco, etc. Cholula or Valentina are excellent but I wouldn't put that on this. Just a suggestion, to all their own.

Adrian

I used tapatio which is Cholula's bigger cousin, but then again I think it good on almost anything.
I agree though..it did not need it, but was tasty with it

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DennisM:
I used tapatio which is Cholula's bigger cousin, but then again I think it good on almost anything.
I agree though..it did not need it, but was tasty with it </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mmm, Tapatio.... yes, tasty. OK, here I though you were using the lowly tabasco!! Me not worthy!!!
icon_wink.gif

Adrian

Back