charcoal burning box for low temp jerky

Matt_G

TVWBB Fan
On an old thread, someone mentioned using a coffee can to hold the charcoal while doing a low temp cook for jerky.
The goal, I think, is to limit air to the fire, but allow airflow through the smoker.

I'd like to use that idea, but construct my own box from metal, one with a solid bottom and 3 sides (one open side for fire-tending). I would set the box on the charcoal grate and point the open side at the access door.

Would Aluminum flashing work for such a job?
I've read that Galvanized is not safe due to the Zinc.

Has anyone tried such a thing?
I did have success holding low temps for my first crack at making jerky (held 125 deg for 3-4 hours then raised to 150 for 2 more), but I could only do so while severly limiting airflow through the smoker. I repeatedly wiped condensation from the smoker lid and changed the wet foil on the dry water pan to reduce moisture.

I use this for cold smoking cheese.
coldsmoker001.jpg

coldsmoker002.jpg

coldsmoker005.jpg

It's a steel utensil holder from Walmart. The lid is aluminum. A few briquettes without the lid can get the smoker to to 125F easy. I'm going to try some jerky soon. I was thinking of smoking it for 2 hours and then finishing it in the dehydrator.

Looks good, I like it.
I was looking at a small stainless steel trash can the other day, this looks better.

Do you or will you use the water pan at all with this?

Back