Northern Bean and Ham Soup

Larry Wolfe

Closed Account
This recipe is done to my tastes and nothing was actually measured. This recipe as most recipes should be used as a guide, not a rule, so tweak it to your own tastes!

1 - Meaty Ham Bone (Smoked Ham Hocks or Smoked Turkey Legs can be substituted)
1 - 16oz bag of Great Northern Beans
1 - Large Onion medium dice (white or yellow)
3 - Large Carrots medium dice
2 - Celery Stalks medium dice
5 - Cloves of minced garlic
1 - TBS Thyme
2 - Bay Leaves
Salt and Pepper to taste
Water

Rinse the beans and then soak beans according to the instructions on the bag, either overnight or quick soak. Do not drain the water.

Add all of the ingredients above and more water if necessary to cover the ingredients. Bring to a boil, cover and reduce heat and let simmer for 3-4 hours.

Discard ham bone and bay leaves and enjoy!

HERE's a link to this Bean Soup cook with pictures.

it was its gonna be cold next week.have to make some cornbread. this looks like a a winner. thanks larry

This is one of my all-time favorite soups. I like to puree about a cup or so of the beans to make it thicker. Last time I also tried using some home-made chicken stock (made from smoked chicken) and used the bone from a ham I smoked - OMG what flavor!

Don, you can also add about 1 - 1 1/2 cups of mashed potatos (garlic mashed is very good) to thicken bean soup.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Don Irish:
This is one of my all-time favorite soups. I like to puree about a cup or so of the beans to make it thicker. Last time I also tried using some home-made chicken stock (made from smoked chicken) and used the bone from a ham I smoked - OMG what flavor! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by B. Kaylor:
Don, you can also add about 1 - 1 1/2 cups of mashed potatos (garlic mashed is very good) to thicken bean soup. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I use 2 ham hocks and a small 1.5-1.75lb. Butternut squash pureed to thicken my Northern Bean and Ham soup. The butternut squash adds a nice sweetness to the soup, that pairs nicely with the ham. I made 2 gals of H&B soup on Saturday. I use Basil instead of Thyme in mine, also add parsely and lots of white pepper. I use Bok choy along with celery. I also use beef and vegtable stock instead of water for simmering the beans. This makes a very rich and hearty soup.
EDIT: and ~1/2 can of tomato paste.

Thanks so much for posting the recipe...I LOVE bean soup...BUT...
Once you give up using those poor excuses for smoked meat called hamhocks and start using that wonderful leftover pork butt that's in your freezer from your last smoke...you'll never go back
icon_wink.gif

Ham and bean soup with homemade corn bread is for sure one of the best cold weather meals one can make. Funny thing I ran across this thread as I was looking for a place to post that I was making ham and bean soup for supper. Put it all together with a recipe very close to the one mentioned and it will simmer on the stovetop for a good 10 hours before consumption.

Back