Tonight's Tri-Tip

RDOwens

TVWBB Super Fan
Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.

Prior to joining this forum, I had never heard of tri-tip. All the discussions about them have certainly caught my attention. Unfortunately, tri-tip is not readily available here.

I tried to get in on a group buy of these last year, but that never came to be. I took documentation into my butcher. No luck there either. I drove a long way to Wegmans, only to strike out. I drove to Trader Joe's. I had a tri in my hand, but didn't know it is what I wanted. I thought they were all marinated. I tried the butcher again.

Well, I finally took the hour drive back to Trader Joe's, trying to take a short cut that failed miserably. Anyhow, I got the tri.

I seasoned this with Kosher salt, fresh ground pepper, and some garlic. I fired up the OTG to 350. I tossed in a little hickory. I pulled the roast when it was 122. I let it rest.

This was fabulous! My goodness, I was in heaven. Even in middle age I am discovering new things to enjoy. I guess I'll be taking another drive and stocking up on tris.

Thank you so much for all the information on this board. I felt comfortable grilling this unfamiliar cut from all the good things I have read here.

4257737409_ee994237a7.jpg

4258497818_efbff43854.jpg

4257741767_e283374939.jpg

RD... That looks fantastic, just how I like it. Glad you were able to find one at TJ. I learned about tri-tip in Southern California about 35 yrs ago. It was made popular by grillers in Santa Maria, CA. Simply seasoned as you did is the best... Tnx for sharing the pics.

joe

Originally posted by ron "Rondo" hanson:
Looks great RD
icon_razz.gif
What would you compare the finished product to....taste, texture, tenderness, etc.....looks yummy
icon_razz.gif

I suppose I would say it is like, although not the same, flank. It was extremely good. I am looking forward to more.

Great looking Tri RD!

Our local Costco carries Tri-Tip.
Not sure if you have one near, or if they sell them in the eastern locations.
Personally, I would have a Costco membership just for their meat.

Great looking tri tip. I like getting my meat at Costco too, just wished they had bone in pork butts.

While you were at Trader Joes I hope you stocked up on some 2 Buck Chuck too.

This is a timely post! I've got two small Trader Joe's tri-tips thawing for tonight's dinner and I'm going to do them just as you did yours!

I was in Atlanta a while back and picked up a couple tri-tips at Trader Joes. Unfortunately, I couldn't buy and two-buck (three in Atlanta) chuck when I was there because you can't BUY WINE IN ATLANTA on SUNDAY!

Like you, I'll be looking for excuses to go Atlanta so I can get some more tri-tips. Nobody here seems to have ever heard of them. Maybe Costco......

Pat

That looks real good, I am hungry now. I am doing four big tri tip roasts tomorrow that I picked up at costco yesterday. It's weird to me to think tri's being hard to find since it's pretty normal here. I always use Spade L on them, it's amazing (www.spadelranch.com). Try it on your next tri tip that you do.

Originally posted by Pat Smith:
you can't BUY WINE IN ATLANTA on SUNDAY!
Pat
Don't they serve beer at the football games on Sunday? So you can go to a game and get stoned, but you can't get anything from a package store? LOL
icon_biggrin.gif
icon_biggrin.gif

Nice tri RD

To the victors go the spoils. While the family snoozed this afternoon, I pulled out the leftovers and put together a fine cheesesteak. I had no provolone, so I used the Kraft singles everyone else likes.

My tummy thanked me.

4259832569_dfb7132b4f.jpg

4259834991_85f8abbf42.jpg

While the family snoozed this afternoon, I pulled out the leftovers and put together a fine cheesesteak.
I have a vision of you RD, in stocking feet, tip-toeing into the kitchen
icon_razz.gif

The sammie looks great too!

I discovered the tri-tip about 3 years ago. By far our favorite cut of beef on the grill. Just like you did, hot and fast, very basic seasonings and let the meat carry itself with flavor. Our local Cub Foods is where I get them, Fresh Market has them, but the are usually around 10.99/lb which is completely outlandish.

Trader Joe's is the only place I can score a tri-tip also.
RD, you made not one, but two outstanding meals out of that! Nice job!!

What would you compare the finished product to....taste, texture, tenderness, etc.....looks yummy
icon_razz.gif
Taste, it's the beefiest tasting cut of beef on the beef.
icon_biggrin.gif
texture to me is dense but if you cut it across the grain, it's pretty tender, keep it med or under. I do mine more med well and they tighten up a bit. I think it's more on the lines of top round/london broil as it's called in these parts, but I can see flank/skirt texture texture too.

Great job RD. I forgot about your trials on the first trip to TJ's last year.
icon_frown.gif
Glad you didn't give up and went back for one.
icon_smile.gif
I've cooked many Tris from TJ's and they have always been of high quality. Pics look great, nice job.
icon_cool.gif
I make cheese steaks out of Tris as well. They make a great sammie.

Back