"Sweet" Chicken Rub

Richard F

TVWBB Member
Does anyone have a sweet chicken rub they can recommend? I have used several rubs in the past, but none have been sweet and I think that would be a good thing to try.

Shaun,

Thank you, but I really like to make my own rubs. I can be more gratuitous with it.

Mr. Kruger,

I am going to try your adjusted formula from Adam's recipe. Thank you.

Richard

Not sure exactly what kind of "sweet" you're after, but here are a few suggestions:

If you like a little "sweet spice", try a touch of Chinese 5-spice powder with a little salt & pepper. I find that a little dusting of it goes really well with gently-roasted or grilled chicken or pork. It contains Cinnamon and Star-Anise, which provide a natural sweetness. (I'm not sure how it would hold-up to high heat or smoking - if the flavors stand-up, it would be good with a kiss of smoke.)

If you like a combination of Sweet & Hot - try finding a good Jamaican-style jerk rub. They often contain a fairly complex mix of spices with a sweetness and some heat.

I've also seen some basic spice rubs used in conjunction with a sweet marinade - such as root beer or Dr. Pepper soda, but have not tried that (yet) myself. However, these seem to be oriented more towards pork than chix

Did a variation of K Kruger's recipe.

I used Splenda Brown Sugar to keep it low carb and I used Chili Powder because it was what I had. Finally, I didn't have or really even know what marjoram was, so left it out.

Result was incredibly good and raves from the guests. However, you have to admit in this fast food world, if you take the time to really cook you gets raves. People are starving for good food out there.

That being said, I would like to thank Mr. Kruger and apologize for the changes. But it really worked well.

Thanks also to all suggestions. I really appreciate the people that take the time to try to help.

No apologies necessary. Recipes are made to adjust to your taste - and/or ingredient limitations - mine are anyway.

Marjoram is an herb. It's related to oregano though its flavor is different. It is widely used in central and southern Europe and in many cuisines of the Middle East. It is a key flavor in numerous sausages, especially many German varieties. Try some.

I'm glad you liked the rub. I quite agree that if you take the time to cook...

Back